ten

"Tell me it isn't true," Ma whispered, more to herself.

"I wanted to tell you about him so many times but I was scared. Not even just for my life, but all of yours as well. There was no telling what he would've done to you or me if I told you what was going on," I sighed, bringing a hand through my hair.

"And you dealt with that for all these years... alone?" Ava asked, looking up at me.

I nodded my head. "It was a lot, I know. But the point is, I survived. I'm still here, I'm still breathing," I told them, smiling a bit. "I was able to get out."

I looked over at Pops and his jaw was clenched as he stood up, going to the back door.

"James-"

"I just need some air," he muttered before walking out.

Ma sighed, pushing hair behind her ear before looking back at me. "Is that why you ran away from home?"

Partly.

"Yes. That and... I was a crappy child," I chuckled, leaning back.

"You were not."

"Mama, I skipped school to get wasted, snuck out of the house, always having crazy ass outbursts. Hell, you almost called the cops on me."

"Because you were scaring me, Scarlett. You came home one night drunk out of your mind and you were just screaming your lungs out. Not just that, you were getting very violent. I had no other choice."

I shook my head and ran my hands down my face with a deep sigh.

"You're not still drinking, are you?"

"From time to time and when I just feel like shit."

She got up and smacked the side of my head, glaring at me.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Language."

"Sorry, sorry. The point is... I'm trying. I really am."

"That's all I'm asking from you. I don't want to have to visit you in a hospital."

"You won't have to."

"Good."

Mama nodded her head then glanced at the back door. When she looked back at me, I sighed then stood up, heading toward that way. I slid open the door then stepped out and walked to Pops, who was standing next to the pool.

"Hey..." I called out to him.

He glanced my way then turned back to the pool with a small hum.

"I should've known," he muttered to himself.

"Pops, there's no way you could've known. I-I didn't even know that I would've gotten into that situation," I told him.

"I'm your father, Scarlett. My number one job is to protect you and I wasn't able to. I could've lost you and I wouldn't have even known."

"I know and I'm sorry. I should've told you, but I was afraid. You've gotta understand that," I pleaded, looking at him again.

"And I do. It's not a good feeling when you hear that your daughter was abused for years. What about your friend Natalie from college? Did she know?"

"She found out herself. So did Jason and her boyfriend did."

"It's still weird that you have a friend named Jason and her boyfriend was named Jason," he chuckled.

"That's how life works, I guess. You're not upset anymore, are you?" I asked, elbowing his arm.

"Nah, I'm alright. I'm just happy I got to see your ugly face again," he grinned.