twenty-six

SCARLETT

I woke up out of my sleep, sweating profusely. It's been a while, but I seen his face clear as day. I checked the clock and it was three in the morning. Carter was next to me, sound asleep and his arms securely wrapped around my waist. Without waking him up, I unwrapped his arms and stepped out of bed, going straight to the bathroom and closing the door.

I turned on the shower, breathing out slowly and beginning to strip out of my clothes. I threw my hair into a messy bun then stepped in the shower, sighing. I couldn't even close my eyes without being scared of seeing his face again.

Looks like I won't be going back to sleep anytime soon.

Running my hands down my face, I took deep breaths but attempted to keep my eyes open in the process. I grabbed my loofa, putting some body wash on it before beginning to scrub my body down. I turned the shower head away and scrubbed my body down again before rinsing off.

I shut the shower off then hung the loofah up again, grabbing a towel. After wrapping it around myself, I stepped out and went into Carter's room. The pillow was placed over his head, so I couldn't tell if he was asleep or not.

I went to my overnight bag and took out my underwear and bra, pulling them on, along with a fresh pair of leggings and tee shirt. After zipping up the bag, I glanced over at Carter. He moved the pillow from over his head and rubbed his eyes, yawning as his eyes slowly fluttered open, scanning over to me.

"Hey... what're you doing up?" He mumbled, rubbing his eyes again.

"I had a nightmare... a bad one."

"You want to talk about it?" He then asked, sitting up and leaning against the headboard.

I shook my head then crawled into the bed next to him, sighing. He brought his arms around me and held me against his chest, kissing the top of my head.

"I didn't mean to wake you," I sighed, wrapping my arms around him.

"I was gonna wake up eventually since you weren't next to me, Red," he mumbled.

"But I was gonna come back."

"I know, I know. Just doesn't feel right without you there."

I turned over on my back, bringing him between him legs and allowing him to rest his head on my chest. Carter's arms wrapped around me tightly and he yawned quietly.

"Goodnight, baby," I whispered, kissing his cheek.

***

I ran my fingers through Carter's hair as he slept while I kept my eyes glued to the tv. I still have yet to fall asleep, so I didn't even try to force myself. As long as Carter was getting sleep, I was fine. I didn't know if he had work or not, but I did know that he needed as much rest as he could get.

I've been debating on making breakfast but if I get up, he'll wake up eventually. I'll just cook when he wakes up, that way neither of us are starving all day.

I still didn't fully understand why Carter stayed in this huge place all by himself. Not saying that there's anything wrong with living by yourself, but the fact that he's always been alone is just weirdo. I mean, I understand since the last person he was with was a bitch.