prologue

A FEW YEARS EARLIER

"I'll be fine, Natalie. Don't worry, just head home."

She sighed then said, "Alright, but I'm waiting here until I know you got in safe."

I chuckled then gave her a quick hug before hopping out of the car and heading inside. Not seeing Liam' car gave me a sense of relief and got rid of the fear that was coursing through me. It was hard enough to cover up the marks from this morning, I don't think I can do this much longer.

Getting out my keys, I twisted the lock then walked inside, tossing everything on the floor after I locked up. I had to call Natalie to give me a ride home since Liam wouldn't answer his phone; as usual. I was about to head upstairs before the light clicked on, causing me to freeze in my spot.

"You're late, Scarlett." I knew that tone way too well and it always sent shivers down my spine.

"I was held up at the bar. They were busy," I stammered out, my heart pounding out of my chest.

"Bullshit!" I flinched at his increase in volume and glanced towards the stairs when he started walking my way. "No matter how many times we have this conversation, you don't fucking understand."

"Liam, I-I'm sorry, okay? I'm not lying when I say we were held up at the bar. It was packed tonight and you know I work overnight—" My sentence ended in a strangled gasp when his hand wrapped around my neck.

"Do not... talk back to me."

"I-I'm sorry," I choked out, wrapping my hand around his wrist. "It won't happen again."

"Damn right it won't," he said, tightening his grip.

Wasting no more time, I kicked him in the groin then made a run for the stairs but he was way faster. I felt his hand latch onto my hair and yank my head back, blowing his breath against my neck.

"I've already told you that you can't run from me, baby."

"I was-"

"Don't try to bullshit with me me, Scarlett," he practically growled in my ear.

"I'm sorry, baby, j-just don't hurt me," I pleaded, feeling tears sting my eyes.

"Oh, it is way too late for that," he muttered in my ear before dragging me towards the sofa then tossing me onto it. "Now... what were you doing at the bar so late, hm?"

"I-I told you we had a busy night."

"Stop fucking lying to me!" He yelled, making me flinch and look away. "God, you're so worthless."

I let out a scream when he pushed his knee against my already bruised rib from the other night. My attempt to push him off failed when he pinned my hands above me, pushing harder.

"I told you that your ass would have consequences when you act out, Scarlett."

Taking my right leg, I brought it up aiming for his groin once more. He toppled off of
me and my hand went to my side, holding the bruised area. I attempted to get away from him as much as I could.