twenty-seven

"Carter, I swear, it is not what it looks like," I started, moving away from the counter.

"Oh? Enlighten me," he muttered, clenching his jaw.

"Who's this? A fuck buddy?" Dean asked, grinning.

"Will you shut up?" I snapped at Dean.

"What? Might as well be honest with the man."

"Scarlett, I swear to fucking God, this better not be what I think it is," Carter spoke, his eyes coming back to me.

"I-It's not, it's not, baby," I stammered out.

Fuck, my hands are shaking.

"Oh, come on, don't lie. Just tell him the truth," Dean added in, crossing his arms.

"Stop fucking talking, Dean. You're not making shit better."

He shrugged his shoulders, smirking.

"Your girlfriends a good kisser," Dean then said and I clenched my fist, mentally sweating.

Carter's eyes slightly widened, looking at me and his eyes began to water.

"A-Are you fucking kidding me?" He scoffed, his voice cracking and running his hand down his face.

"Baby, it's not like what he's making it out to be."

"Yeah right," he chuckled quietly, shaking his head.

"Carter, please," I pleaded, walking towards him.

He backed away from me, running a hand down his face.

"Can't believe this," he mumbled, walking out and slamming the door closed.

My body flinched once the door closed and I slowly looked back at Dean, walking towards him and throwing a punch towards his jaw. 

"Dickhead," I spat.

I went out of the kitchen then ran outside, shutting the door behind me. Carter was still walking to the car and I ran towards him, standing in front of the door. He blew out a breath, letting his eyes scan over to me.

"Scarlett-"

"I'm not letting you go," I choked out, attempting to swallow down the lump in my throat.

"Scarlett, move," he whispered, slowly closing his eyes.

"No, not until you let me explain. T-Then if you still want to leave me, then you can."

He clenched his jaw, sighing then averting his eyes to me.

"D-Dean came over to apologize for something that happened, a-and I didn't forgive him. So he kissed me, but I pushed him off, I swear. When you walked in, he tried to kiss me again. I never kissed back, Carter," I explained, my voice beginning to crack.

"You didn't kiss back?" He asked, biting his lip slightly.

"No, I didn't. I didn't even plan on it. I-I knew you were coming over after work, so I cleaned up and cooked. I never knew he was coming over."

"I-I don't know if I can believe that, Scarlett."

"I wouldn't do that to you. Especially after how you were treated and even how I was treated, Carter. Just please believe me, I'm begging you," I pleaded, sniffling. "Please."

I walked closer to him, holding his hand in mine. This whole time, I was just hoping he'd believe me. We've been doing great so far and I don't want Dean to be the reason that it gets messed up.