nine

"You let your overthinking take over again," Lola groaned, flopping back on my bed.

"I couldn't help it, alright? I-It just popped in and I couldn't get rid of it. So, I did what I do best... run."

"Carter's a good guy, Scarlett! I wouldn't have tried to hook you two up if I knew he was an asshole."

"Liam was a good guy at first too, Lola! We all know how that shit turned out."

"No, Liam wasn't a good guy from the beginning. It started off slow, that's why you didn't catch it until you started going to Jason's house with bruises," Lola said, looking at me, her eyes intense.

"Lola-"

"Don't fucking Lola me. From what I know, Carter hasn't done anything to hurt you, am I right?"

"No," I mumbled, leaning back against the headboard.

"Has me made you question at all that he would turn out like Liam?"

"No."

"See what I mean? You're not even giving the man a chance, idiot."

"Ow," I grumbled, rubbing the part of my head she slapped.

She crossed her arms, glaring at me. I instantly looked away, rubbing my arms. Lola sighed from beside me as I felt the bed dip. Her came around my shoulders and pulled into a side hug.

"I understand you're taking precaution... but everything's been going great from what you told me. I also know what can happen when you let your thoughts take over, and I understand."

"I don't mean for it to happen," I mumbled. "I don't know, I guess it's just been a shit show thanks to my brain-"

The phone ringing on my nightstand, interrupted my sentence. My eyebrows furrowed when an unknown number was on the screen. I grabbed my phone, sliding the button then placing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"Scarlett! You answered!"

My eyes slightly widened and I had to look at that phone to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

"A-Ava?"

"Obviously it's me! I didn't think you'd answer!"

Ava is my little sister, whom I haven't talked to since I ran away all those years ago. She wasn't
old enough to understand and part of it, she still can't. I just don't know if she's ready to know everything.

Neither her or my parents know about what Liam did to me. They know of him but not... everything.

"I-I didn't think I would either. B-But how are you? How's school and everything?"

"Awful. It's like going to hell and back for eight hours a day," she whined. "I'm just waiting for a break."

I shook my head, chuckling.

"You're a sophomore now, yeah?"

"Yep. It's pretty easy, they just give me a shit ton of work- Ava! Watch your language- Sorry mom!"

"Mom's home?" I asked.

"Yeah, you wanna talk to her?"

"No, no. Um... I think I'm gonna come by..."

"Well, it's about time! I'll send you the address okay?"

"Alright," I chuckled.

"I gotta go, moms making me clean. See ya!"