twenty-five

CARTER

Call me obsessed or whatever you want, but I miss Scarlett already. The whole time we've been dating, we've been around each other and every time we separate, my mood just plummets. You would think the... few quickies we had before I left would help, but I was completely wrong.

That woman is a persistent one.

I got a call from some friends, needing some help with some... hacking situations. Tracking someone down, I'm assuming, but I wouldn't argue. It's what I do, after all.

Leaning back in my seat, I kept my eyes on the road as I stopped at a red light. I couldn't stop thinking about Red, and I was just ready to go back to my place and see her again. I've never felt like this about any woman before.

Not only is the sex fucking mind-blowing, but she as a person is amazing. I have no problem opening up to her and neither does she. There's still some things I have to tell her about my job, but I don't know how she'll take it.

I mean, how do you tell your girlfriend that your job mainly contains illegal activities, you're a hacker, and you were raised by assassins? Yeah, not something I can just bring up during a date night, I'll tell you that much. I really don't want to scare her off, so I'll wait until it's the right time.

With a deep sigh, I pulled into the driveway and shut the car off. I reached into the backseat and grabbed my book bag before stepping out and shutting the door, heading to the front door. I kicked the door repeatedly, sighing then checked my watch.

"Why the hell are you banging on my damn door like that, moron?" Vanessa yelled as she swung the door opened.

I shot her a grin.

"Hey to you too, Vee. Still always a delight to see," I said, walking past her and heading inside.

"You're aggravating me already and you just got here."

"Carter, annoying my wife already?" Gabriel asked, walking down the stairs with a cocked eyebrow.

"No, your wife is just sensitive," I said

"You're lucky I need your help or I would've shot you already," Vanessa grumbled. "What the hell took you so long anyways?"

"I was busy," I told her, taking everything out of my back and placing my phone beside me.

"Doing what? Another random bitch?" She asked, smirking.

"No, and even if I was, that's none of your concern," I said, raising an eyebrow.

Right at that moment, my phone dinged with a text from Scarlett, telling me she was heading to work early. I glanced at it, smiling to myself then sent a quick reply. Opening my laptop, I glanced up and saw Vanessa grinning at me.

"What?"

"Who's Scarlett?" She asked, leaning on the counter.

"An important person."

"Is she your girlfriend?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Don't do that ever again," I chuckled.

"Carter actually has a girlfriend? Ain't that a shock," Gabriel added in, grinning. "Is it not just a bootycall?"