Chapter 21: Helping him

Well, I'm waiting. The last piece of bread is finished and I've woken up hungry, but that's become normal as grown accustomed to the street life. Waking up hungry, cold and unfortunately the bustling noises of people have become my very early alarm clock. It's not paradise, but The Emperor will lock me up for sure. I won't be calling him my uncle. He's no family of mine.

And now the sound of footsteps echo in the alleyway. I get up in an instant and walk to Edric. "Look what I got in you!" He has container of cupcakes. "Blight, I didn't mean you to get me anything extravagant. You didn't need to-" "No, no. Take the whole box! I insist." With nervous arms as I question if I deserve anything so delightful, I take the box. "Thanks, Bl.. Thanks, Edric." "But how do you stay safe here at night? Wouldn't you get caught by a patrolling guard?"

"Oh no, no. I sleep in there. May not be a bed but what can you do?" I point to that dumpster. "That's... Wow... Hunter, you gotta live somewhere. You're not safe out here and definitely not happy sleeping outside." My gaze falls to the rocky ground. "I don't have anywhere else to go. Luz's place would put them in danger. I guess I could live under a bridge."

Edric shoots me a look of what's either shock or confusion. "No! I know what to do! You stay right here! I'll be back!" "Edric, no. You don't have to keep coming here for me. Won't your family notice your constantly out of the house?" I try to convince the nosey Blight he just ignores my words and runs off... 

My belly growls in this echoey, dark outside hall which my feathered friend seems to notice. It chirps loudly for my attention, making me turn around and see it pointing to the cupcakes by moving it's head back and forth to point with it's beak. "Ok, ok." My eyes roll at the cardinal. It could just go find a witch with actually magic instead of some powerless, street teen who's in a deep mess of a situation.

Every cupcake has a different flavor, and I start with the first one. Chocolate bread, a lot of chocolate icing which is swirled, a piece of chocolate dug into the top of the icing and with a candy star next to the chocolate piece. 

.

.

.

And for what feels like be an hour due to my boredom of being stuck in an alleyway, I hear those footsteps again. "Guess who~" He runs to me but comes at a stop once near enough to me. He's got a large bag with whatever he has planned. "So whatever's in here will help me? Ok, ok. But I don't see how it would help my situation." He begins to chuckle. "You're just as salty as I first met you." His laugh is oddly soothing.