Chapter 166: Finally finding him

(This guard's name is Demante. A bard witch. In the flashback, a couple months have passed.)

Demante's P.O.V.

Is this right? Emperor Belos has ordered guards to inspect people homes for a baby with blonde hair and red eyes. And why would he care? Because I can't imagine him taking care of a baby. Sighing under my mask, I knock on the next house, then answered by a man in his twenties. "An Emperor guard? Is.. something wrong?" He looks so uneasy it hurts.

"I'm sorry. I hate to do this. But I have to enter your house. You don't have a choice. And neither do I." Is all I tell him. Trying to show him my sympathies while knowing I have to follow orders. Me and the guard behind me both walk in the house, to his dismay while who must be his wife shows up.

"What's going-" But the other guard interrupts her. "Don't make a scene. We aren't here to hurt you. We're just looking for ba blonde baby with red eyes. Please tell me you saw one." She looks to her husband with a long silence before the guard walks throughout the house. And as it's an order, I too walk through while they frantically tell me to leave.

But while I'm searching their room, I hear the guard's footsteps and telling me "I found him!" Before quickly walking back to whichever room he found the baby. "No- what do you need him for?" The husband questions. And then the wife tells us "Please, you can't take him!" And we both look back to him. I who am silent, but the guard unsympathetic, asks "The Emperor made an announcement about looking for a blonde baby with red eyes. Surely you knew. So why would you keep it here?"

I open my mouth, wanting to comfort them but I don't know what to say. "We- we just really, really wanted children. We've tried and tried, but I've found out I'm infertile. We were so grateful to find a baby at this time." The wife answers. The guard just rolls his eyes before going to the room.

Even as we walk in, they're still begging for us to just leave them be. The baby who was sleeping awakes from the noisy scene, then crying." The guard picks it up with no remorse and goes to walk out. The husband tugs on his arm, being careful so the baby doesn't fall out from his hold. In retaliation, the guard harshly elbows the husband, making him hit the wall. I kneel down wanting to help but the wife already pulls him up while panicky.

Looking to the crying baby, I see my partner pull out a specific device to call someone (The thing Lilith used to call Kikimora)

(How is it?)