Chapter 2: Candid

I closely followed Jake onto the bus, completely taken back when I reached the top step. Josh was already hanging from one of the top bunks further back. Jake shook his head.

"Of course he chooses a top bunk." He laughed to himself. I made my way past the bunks, wondering where I was going to be sleeping. I knew the bands got priority with the bunks. The couch didn't look too bad.

"We're giving you the back room." Jake said. He tossed his bags into the bunk just below Josh and turned to me.
"We figured you might need more room for all your stuff and.. I don't know. We're used to these bunks. We like them, so.." he motioned to the back with a smile.

"Oh, no that's-" 
"Sorry no, we already decided." He said, smirking and turning away, starting to unpack. I smiled and made my way to the back room.

Walking in, I tossed my bags onto the bed and looked around, confused

Walking in, I tossed my bags onto the bed and looked around, confused. This room was huge. Why would they just give me this room? I was one of the least important people on this tour. I guess it would be hard to determine which of the four would stay back here, but still. Why me?

I could hear them talking outside the door as I began to unpack. I couldn't tell who's voice belonged to who just yet.

"Pretty bold, giving her the back room." One of them said. There was laughter.
"She's a girl, I don't know, I figured she'd want her privacy. I was just being nice."
"Yeah, real nice while the rest of us are crammed into these bunks." More laughter.
"We'll be fine. We're used to it."
"You know she's single right?" One of them said, there were a few "ooo's." I could feel my face get red as I started refolding my clothes, moving closer to the door to get a better listen.
"...How do you know that?" one of them asked quietly.
"Oh, look who's interested now."
"Will you knock it off, she can probably hear you!" They got quieter after this.

I moved away from the door and continued putting the rest of my things away. I didn't pack much, assuming the space would be tight. Part of me was wishing I wasn't so secluded from everyone now. Sitting down on the bed, I looked around. If you had told me a year ago today this is where I'd be, I would have never believed you. I had always dreamed that doing what I love would one day take me around the world, but I never imagined like this. I grabbed my camera bag and started flipping through the few photos I had already taken.

The boys getting out of their van. 

I always felt you could tell so much about a person by how they photograph. Danny hunched over, the first of the four to start unpacking the van. I assumed he's the more responsible one, definitely the "Mom" of the group; the first to handle business. The next was Sam, assisting Danny in unloading the luggage, slinging his case over his shoulder. 

I continued flipping through.

A shot of Josh flashing a huge smile as he hopped out of the back of the van. His curly hair blowing, getting stuck behind the lenses of his sunglasses. He seemed to be the real energy out of the four, commanding attention wherever he could get it. The other three seemed to be used to it by now. From what I had seen online prior to today, he loved the camera. I wouldn't have a problem getting any good shots of him, making my job that much easier. Nothing worse than a camera-shy performer. He was a bit smaller than the rest of the guys but he projected confidence like I had never seen before. It was a little intimidating.

And then there was Jake.

His long hair fell effortlessly over his shoulders, half blowing in the wind, sunglasses propped up on the top of his head to keep the rest of his hair out of his eyes. With his guitar case in one hand and a small backpack in the other, his arms flexed with the weight, defining what muscle he did have. 

All four of them were very handsome; all with their own quirks and defining features. Even the twins, you could already see the difference in their personalities and sense of style. I was looking forward to getting to know them all better as the tour went on. The better you know your subject, the better the photograph. And after all, that's what this was. 

Just a job.

None of them knew they were being photographed when they pulled into the parking lot, which I was thankful for. Candids are one of my favorite types of photos. There's nothing better than capturing such honest moments, and then being able to reflect on them just as they happened later on. The beauty of photography; you can make time stand still. 

The guys all looked so excited, so ready for their next adventure. I'm glad that I was here to document these moments for them. I flipped through the rest of what I had taken, seeing the guys laughing amongst each other, fumbling with luggage, and making their way over to the bus, all too involved in their own business to be aware of the world around them, not even noticing I was there until they got close enough.

Until I zoomed in.

While in their own little world of anticipation and excitement, their eyes were all locked on each other. Except Jake.

Jake was looking at me.