Chapter 33: There Was a Chance

I turned to Jake, my face dropping. He stared back, wide-eyed.

"Oh, you're going with them?" His mom asked, still trying to keep her tone neutral.
"Yeah, Josh said it would be fun. Apparently they have plenty of room." 

I felt my face get hot.
"Where would she stay?" I whispered to Jake. He scrunched up his eyebrows, shaking his head.
"There isn't any room." He said plainly, getting up from the bed.
"Where are you going?" He peeked back before opening the door.
"To figure out what the hell is going on." He said, slamming the door behind him. I quickly got up and followed him down the hallway.

"What's going on?" He snapped, making his way into the kitchen. Josh and Amy were sitting at the counter. Josh flashed Jake a smile, and then his eyes moved to me. 

The smile slowly started to fade.

"I figured, since you can have someone with you on tour, why can't I?" Josh asked smugly.
"Because she's working." Jake said sternly. "You know it's different."
"I just don't see how it's fair that you can have your girlfriend but no one else can."

Jake shot Amy a look, to which she returned a condescending smile. I felt my face get hot again. I hated the way she looked at him. It was obvious this whole thing was just a plan to upset the both of us.

And it was obviously working.

"I figured Amy could stay in the back room with Jess. There's plenty of room back there. It's huge." Josh said, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair. I heard Jake sigh.
"Seriously?" He snapped. Josh shrugged.
"Why, what's wrong with that?"

"She's not coming with us." Jake said. "She doesn't do anything."
"Well, I'm sure there's something she could do." Josh said simply, turning to Amy. "We've been looking for a new merch girl, haven't we?" Jake rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

"We're fine with who we have."
"Well, I already told her she can come. So I guess we're just gonna have to figure it out, aren't we?"

"What's wrong, Jake?" Amy said. "You don't want me hanging out with your new girlfriend? How convenient you already had someone new lined up as soon as you left."
"Oh, shut up, Amy." Jake snapped.
"Jacob!" His mom yelled. Jake shook his head, now putting his hands on his hips.
"I can't believe this is happening.." He sighed. "We broke up. Why are you still bothering me?"

"I'm not here to bother you." She said with a smile, moving her chair closer to Josh. "Josh and I have been talking for a while now, why wouldn't I want to come with him?"
"For a while now huh?" I chimed in, looking at Josh. His eyes got wide as he quickly looked over at me, and then back to Jake.

"Not too long ago, but for a bit." He said plainly, avoiding Amy's eyes. Amy looked over at him confused; he ignored her.

"It'll be fun." Josh said. "We can double date."

Jake stood there for a moment, glaring at Josh until he finally stormed off outside. I quickly followed as he made his way through the backyard.

"Jake!" I called out. He kept walking.
"Jake!" I reached out, grabbing his hand. He sighed, turning around.

"I can't believe he's being like this." He said, looking away from me.
"It's okay." I sighed. "I have you. I don't care who else is there."
"You're not sharing a room with her." He said sternly. "That's ridiculous to ask of you."
"Well.. then I'll stay with you." I laughed. "In your bunk." His lips finally curled into a smile as he smirked down at me.
"You would be miserable in that bunk." He laughed. I reached up, wrapping my arms around his neck.
"Well, I have been looking for an excuse to get even closer to you." His smile grew as he stared back at me, gently shaking his head.