Chapter 47: Friends

I knew he was kidding. He had to be. There was no way he could actually be thinking like that. Not yet. Not for a long time. Then again, knowing Jake..

"You are kidding, right?" I asked, gently pulling my hand away. He smirked, holding his stare on me.
"Don't worry." He sighed. "Wouldn't dream of it, Jess." He rolled his eyes, getting up from the couch. I felt my stomach drop.

"Jake, I didn't mean it like-"
"I know." He said, giving me a small smile. "You wanna come with me?" He asked. "I'm gonna catch up with the guys."

"Um.." I thought. "Actually, I'm.. gonna call my Dad, I wanna see where they're all gonna be tonight." His smile grew.
"Are you gonna invite them?" He asked, leaning in the doorway. I felt my cheeks burn.
"You really want to meet them?" He nodded eagerly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Of course I do." He said simply, flashing me a smile. My cheeks burned, a smile escaping my lips. He knew how adorable he was, and I hated it.
"Alright, get out of here.." I laughed, looking away.
"Okay, okay.." He sighed. "Come find me when you're done." He shut the door behind him. 

The phone only rang once before my Dad picked up.

"Sorry. Wrong number." He said.
"Hey Dad." I laughed. I heard him giggle from the other side.
"Hi Sweetheart, you just get in yet? When do I get to see you?" He asked.
"Yeah, we just got here. We're at the venue already. So um.. one of the guys.. they wanted you to come to their show tonight."

"Oh, one of the guys, huh?" He asked. I could hear the tone in his voice. My cheeks burned. I already knew where this was going to go. "Why is this boy so eager to meet me, huh?"
"Daaad.." I sighed. I heard him laugh again.
"Is there anything going on with.. one of these guys?" I bit down on my lip, not really sure how to answer that.

"There.. might be." I said quietly. I heard him giggle again. "It's not.. it's not official."
"He's not leading you on, is he? I know how those type-"
"Don't worry. He's not, Dad." I sighed.

"Alright, alright. I know you can handle yourself. Well, then I'd love to meet this.. friend?" He asked. 
"Yes, we're calling him a friend right now." I giggled. "Please don't make it weird. He's probably going to be nervous as it is."
"Oh.. why would one of your friends be nervous to meet me?"
"Dad.."
"Okay, okay.." He sighed. I could hear the smile in his voice.

"So.. what is your friend's name?" He asked. I should've known he wasn't going to drop it that easily.
"His name is Jake." I said, looking out the window. The last thing I wanted was one of the guys walking in during this conversation.
"Jake.. okay.." He said.
"But Dad.. please be nice." I said softly. "He's.. he's special."
"If you say he is, then I'll be nice." I couldn't help but smile. 

"Have you heard from Mom?" I asked. He was quiet for a minute.
"Not recently." He said simply. I understood.
"She still off.. god knows where?" I asked. He was quiet again.
"Most likely." He said.
"Well, I'm sure she'll turn up when she hears about the show." I sighed.
"Most likely." He laughed.

"Well, I'll send you the directions to the venue. I'd.. prefer if it was just you here but.. if anyone else hears about it, you can invite them too. Just let me know so I can have them put on the guest list."
"Oh, the guest list.." He mocked. "How important is this guy? We never had a guest list for Travis' shows." I felt my cheeks burn. I knew it was only a matter of time until he brought up Travis. 

"Their shows are.. a little bigger than Travis'." I said. "And.. could you not bring him up around Jake tonight?"
"Oh, does your.. friend not know about you two?" He asked. I rolled my eyes. I could tell this friend thing was going to drag out all night. I knew I never should've mentioned anything.

"He knows about Travis, it's just.. I don't want him getting the wrong idea.. you know like-"
"Sweetheart, you are nothing like your Mother, so don't ever worry about that. And.. if he's as good of a friend as you say, he should be able to accept your past too." I sighed.
"Thanks, Dad."