Chapter 61: No Choice

Jake's P.O.V

I heard a knock at the door outside. I groaned.
"I'll be right back." I said, kissing Jess's forehead, reaching out and grabbing a towel from the rack. I tightly wrapped it around my waist, pushing the wet hair out of my face.

"Yeah?" I called out, opening the door. "Oh.. hey."
"Oh, not a good time?" Sam laughed, leaning against the door frame. I shook my head, letting him in.
"What's going on?" I asked. He made his way over, plopping down on the bed.

"So.. we got a call from the label this morning and.. they still haven't found an actress for the music video, and the shoot is in two days, and apparently if it's not casted immediately, then it's gonna get delayed, and that's gonna push back everything which.. they said is not an option. So, we have to figure something out if we're gonna stay on schedule." 

My stomach dropped.

"So w-what does that mean? What do we do then?" I asked. He held his stare on me, biting down on his lip.
"Well.. Josh had told me.. he asked Jess." He said reluctantly. "And that.. she said she would do it." I felt my cheeks burn.
"Yeah, but we talked about it and decided it wasn't a good idea." I said, leaning back against the wall.
"Who decided it wasn't a good idea, her or...you?" He asked. "Because.. we kinda need her right now. Or else the whole idea for the video is out the window. So, does she not really want to do it?" I hesitated, feeling my heart beating faster.

"I don't want her to." I said softly, looking away.
"Well, can you just.. suck it up for one day. It's just.. for the video."
"But it's not just for the video for Josh."
"Look, it may be.. awkward for a few hours but then it's over with and it doesn't matter." He sighed.
"Doesn't matter? He literally just told me he was in love with her, Sam. You really think it doesn't matter to him?"

"Jake, I wouldn't even ask but.. there's kind of a lot on the line here. Now really isn't the time to be selfish."
"Selfish?? Sam, would you want your girlfriend kissing me on camera for everyone to see? She didn't even want anyone to know we were dating, and yet everyone expects me to just be okay with her doing god knows what with Josh on camera?"

"I.. I get it but.. we really don't have a choice here, Jake. Can I just talk to her? Where is she?"
"She's.. in the shower." I mumbled. His eyes shot to the bathroom, and back to me. My cheeks burned.
"Can you just.. go get her." He said. "We need to figure this out. Like, now." I sighed and stormed off back into the bathroom.

"Hey!" Jess called out, peeking her head out from behind the curtain. "Are you coming back in?" She asked, smiling at me. I couldn't help but smile but quickly shook the thought.
"Um.. S-Sam is here." I said. She moved back, closing the curtain a little. I giggled to myself, going over.
"Don't worry, he's out there. But.. we need to talk about the music video." I said softly. She stared back at me, confused.
"What do you mean? I thought.. we did talk about it."
"We did but.. apparently they haven't found anyone else for the video and.. they really need someone."

"What do you mean they.. need someone?" She said softly. She sighed, shaking her head. "Hold on. I'll.. I'll be right out." I nodded, changing out my towel for the other robe and going back out into the bedroom. It wasn't long before Jess came out, sitting down next to me on the bed.

"So what is actually going on?" She asked, turning to Sam. Sam sighed, running his fingers through his hair.
"The shoot is in 2 days and they haven't found anyone to be in it, but.. Josh told me that he had asked you to be in it.. and.. we need you. But.. Jake isn't happy about it." I felt my cheeks burn again. I hated how this was now becoming about me, like I was the one being ridiculous for not wanting her to be in the video with Josh like that.

"And.. what happens if I don't do it?" She asked. Sam sighed, sitting back up.
"Then basically.. everything gets delayed but the label says that's really not an option. So.. we really need you." He said, scrunching up his face.
"What does Josh think about it?" She asked.
"What does it matter?" I snapped. Sam shot me a look, shaking his head. I sighed. This whole thing was just completely unfair. In the end, it really didn't matter how I felt about this whole thing.

"He said he's okay with whatever you were comfortable with. But.. it's up to you when it comes down to it." Jess peeked up at me.
"I don't want to hurt you." She said softly, placing her hand on my leg. My heart sunk. But I knew that we really didn't have a choice. "I know we talked about this and if you really don't want me to do it-"

"Well, apparently we don't have a choice." I sighed, getting up from the bed. She stared up at me, her face dropping.
"Jake, it's just for the video. I just-"
"Sure. Whatever. It doesn't matter what I think.." I sighed, going back into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

Jess's P.O.V

My heart sunk as Jake stormed off, slamming the bathroom door behind him. Sam sighed, rolling his eyes.
"You really need me?" I asked. "Like.. there's no other way?" He bit down on his lip, shaking his head.
"They.. were pretty set on the fact that.. it needs to be you. Josh had already told them about you and then when you changed your mind, well, that really didn't leave us with much time to find a replacement, especially on the road. So, yeah. We really need you." I nodded, looking back towards the bathroom.

"I just.. I don't want Jake to-"
"There's no outcome here that Jake is going to be happy with. It's just one of those times where he's gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. It doesn't even have to be that big of a deal. So, you guys kiss maybe once or twice, and that's the end of it. It's not like you haven't before." He smirked. I felt my face get hot, but couldn't contain my smile. 

"He told you?" I said softly. He nodded, his smile growing.
"Of course he told me." He said. "He was so happy. But then.. apparently you ran off." My stomach dropped. I sighed, hiding my face in one of my pillows.

"Sam, I just-" He shook his head.
"You don't have to explain anything to me." He said, giving me a subtle smile. "It's okay." I nodded, clutching the pillow against my chest.
"Should I talk to him?" I asked. Sam peeked back at me, giving me a questioning look.
"Josh." I sighed. He hesitated, but eventually shook his head.

"Maybe give him a little more time. Besides, you guys will have plenty of time to talk during the shoot." He giggled to himself. My heart started beating faster. 

The idea of being alone with him again made me nervous, so I could only imagine how I would feel the day of.