Chapter 56: For Now

"Is everyone still downstairs?" I sighed, forcing myself back up. I crawled over next to Jake, sitting back against the bathtub. He smiled as I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"No, they were all heading out." He said.
"How'd it go with my dad?" I asked, peeking up at him. He shrugged, a smirk spreading across his lips.
"I think it went pretty well." His cheeks burned.
"What did you guys talk about?"
"You don't worry about that." He giggled, kissing my forehead. I reached over for the water bottle, taking a big sip. 

I was finally starting to feel a little better.

"You're staying with me tonight, right?" He asked, pulling me closer. 
"Of course." I said. "I'm getting used to you taking care of me. I can't leave now." 
"Okay good." He sighed. "You know I'll always take care of you."
"I should probably get some sleep though. We do have a day off tomorrow."
"That's true. And you did promise you'd show me around." He smiled. I nodded, trying to help myself up from the floor.

"Woah there." He laughed, lifting me up into his arms. "I got ya, I got ya.." He carried me over to the bed, gently placing me down on one side.
"You don't have to baby me." I laughed, looking up at him. He rolled his eyes.
"You're too independent. Just let me enjoy this."
"Oh, you're enjoying this?" He nodded, giggling to himself. 
"You always try to do everything.. just let me be the boyfriend for once." I felt my cheeks burn, but I didn't fight him on it. He pulled the blanket up over me, gently kissing the top of my head.

"W-where are you going?" I asked as he headed back for the door.
"I just gotta do something quick. But you go to sleep, I'll be right back, I promise." He said, flashing me a smile. I nodded, curling up. It wasn't much longer before my eye lids got heavy.

Jake's P.O.V

I quickly made my way down the hall, looking for Sam's room. When we were downstairs, he had mentioned that Josh was staying with him tonight, for whatever reason.

"Josh!" I yelled, banging on the door. It didn't take long for it to open.
"Hey.. what's going on?" Sam asked, staring back at me confused.
"Where's Josh?" I asked. He moved to the side, letting me in. He was sprawled out on the couch when he turned to look at me, his face getting angrier.
"What do you want?" He asked.
"Can we talk? Outside?.. Now?" I said. He hesitated, holding his glare on me, but eventually got up, following me out into the hallway.

"What?" He said sternly.
"Well, first of all, what were you doing in my room with Jess?" I snapped. He sighed, rolling his eyes.
"Well maybe if you paid a little more attention to her instead of just leaving her to go hang out at the bar, you would've noticed she was sick. I was helping her."
"She was fine when I left, she told me to go back down, but how convenient that you were there, just in time." His cheeks burned.
"I ran into her in the hallway. Her mom was wasted so.. I gave her my room, that's why I'm staying with Sam." I felt my cheeks burn as I held my stare on him.

"Well, what the hell were you guys talking about? Cause suddenly she's asking me about getting married and having kids.. why would you bring that up to her? You know how she gets! You're purposely trying to scare her off because you know she always runs back to you when things get too serious." He smirked back at me, shaking his head.

"All I did was ask if she was sure what she wanted. You two barely know each other and you're asking her to move in with you? Now who's trying to scare her off." My stomach dropped. How did he know about that?

"Did she-"
"Yeah. She told me." He snapped. I bit down on my lip, not sure what to say.

"Nothing is set in stone. I just.. it was just an idea. I didn't even want to talk about it with her tonight but.. she forced it out of me." 
"Well she seems to be into it." He said softly, his eyes sad. 

How did we even get here? Two months ago we were best friends, now we were constantly at each other's throats. We had never let a girl come between us like this before, and I missed having him to talk to about these kind of things. Now I felt like I had to keep everything from him to spare his feelings, and that wasn't fair. 

To either of us.

"Look.. I don't want to fight anymore." I said softly. His face dropped.
"N-neither do I."
"But.. I love her, and that's never gonna change. I just wish.. you could be happy for me." He bit down on his lip, staring back at me, staying quiet. I felt my heart beating faster.

"Jake, I want to be.. but I just can't." He finally said, crossing his arms, looking down at his feet. My heart sank.
"You never should have tried anything with her to begin with. You heard me talking about her before the tour even started. You knew how I felt about her, and you just.. couldn't let me have one thing. You knew how excited I was to meet her and yet.." I sighed, looking away.

"It's not like I'm doing this to spite you. I can't help how I feel." He said softly, keeping his eyes down. "You can understand that." My heart started beating faster.
"Well, she's my girlfriend." I snapped, starting to get angrier.
"For now." He said, peeking back up at me. "She's changed her mind before, who's to say she won't do it again?" I felt my whole body start to get hot. 

"She knows I'm always gonna be there for her, especially when you fuck up. I just have to be patient, and she knows I will be."
"She picked me." I yelled. "She could've chosen you if she wanted you, but she picked me." 
"I guess we'll see." He sighed, heading back to Sam's room.

"What is wrong with you!" I yelled after him, but he kept walking. "You can have anyone, why can't you just-"
"I don't want anyone!" He snapped, turning back around. "I love her!"  He went back into Sam's room slamming the door behind him.

My heart dropped. He loved her. 

I sighed, running my hands through my hair. What I really wanted was to go back down to the bar, but I knew the last thing I should do was drink right now. I turned back to head towards the room when my stomach dropped, seeing Jess standing in the doorway staring back at me.