Chapter 193: Good People

"Where are you guys going?" Josh called out as Jake lead me through the kitchen.
"I have press today." Jake said, squeezing my hand. "And I wanted her to come with me."
"You're gonna be back for soundcheck though, right?" He asked, peeking over at us. Jake nodded, keeping his eyes forward as he quickly hopped down the stairs.
"Yep!" He called out, shutting the door behind us.

"I really don't want you to skip out on everything because of this." I said softly, following him as we made our way over to the van. He shook his head, opening my door for me.
"I'm not gonna skip anything, don't worry." He said simply. "I'm gonna call them. But.. this is more important." I felt my heart beat faster as he walked around to the driver's side.
"I just don't want this to overshadow everything you've earned-" He leaned over, pulling me into a gentle kiss.
"I don't think you understand how excited I am about this." He said, his smile growing. "Sure, the award is.. awesome, but.. this is our family." I couldn't help but smile, my cheeks burning.

Just as long as it was his decision.

As we pulled up to the doctor's office, I felt my stomach drop, my heart beating faster. He parked the van, turning to me.
"You ready?" He asked, flashing me an excited grin. I bit down on my lip, feeling my face get hot as tears came to my eyes. His face dropped as he reached over for me.
"Jess.. what's wrong?" I shook my head, avoiding his eyes.
"N-nothing.. I.. I'm ready." I managed, unlocking my seatbelt.
"No.." He sighed, gently touching my cheek. "What's wrong?" I shrugged, wiping my eyes.

"Jake.. what if.. what if the test was wrong." I said softly. He shook his head, pulling me back into another gentle kiss.
"Well, that's what we're gonna go find out." He said, giving me a gentle smile.
"Yeah, but.." I started, my breaths getting heavier.
"Whatever happens, it's gonna be okay." He said.

"How are you able to be so positive all the time?" I asked. He shrugged, gently wiping my eyes.
"Because.." He sighed. "Would I love for us to have this? Sure. But.. no matter what happens, I'm happy as long as I have you. And we still have our wedding to be excited about. If it's positive.. this would just be.. something extra. A very big something extra." He laughed. "But we're gonna be just fine."
"But you're so excited and-"
"I have plenty to be excited about. I don't want you to be worried about that. Whatever happens, we're gonna get through it together. I know you said it was unlikely, so I am being realistic.. but just.. hopeful." I nodded, starting to calm down. He was quiet for a moment, holding his stare on me.

"We don't have to go in yet. Whenever you're ready." He said, reaching over for my hand. I intertwined our fingers, gently rubbing my thumb over his.
"It's just.. once we go in, it'll become real, no matter what the results are. And.. right now.. it's still positive and-"
"We can live in that for a few more minutes." He said quietly.

"Have you.. thought anymore about names?" I asked, turning to face him. He shrugged, his smile growing.
"Well, ever since you said Hazel, that's all I've been able to think about. So.. if it's a girl.. I think we should stick with that."
"Okay." I nodded. "And.. for a boy? Did you figure out your 'J' name?" He shook his head, giggling to himself.

"Well.." He finally added. "I mean, a few years ago.. Josh and I had talked about naming our kids after each other." He said softly, keeping his eyes locked on our hands. "But.. I wouldn't ask that of you, not if you've had names that you-"
"I like that." He stopped, peeking back up at me.
"Y-you do?" He asked. I nodded.
"That's your brother, I understand.." He bit down on his lip, containing his smile.
"We.. we can keep talking about it, it's okay. We don't have to make any decisions right now. It's just.. something we've discussed together."
"I think that's really sweet."
"I just wouldn't want that to be weird for you.. considering.." He muttered.
"It wouldn't be."
"Okay.."