Chapter 177: My Worst Nightmare

Jake's P.O.V

As I looked up, my entire body went cold. On my side of the bed was a small stuffed animal, and a pink and red card sitting on my end table. My heart sunk.

No, no, no, no, no..
I couldn't believe I forgot.
How did I manage to go all day, and not a single person mention that today was Valentine's Day?

"Oh my god.." I sighed, finally bringing myself to look at her. Her sad eyes broke my heart. She must have been thinking about this all day. Suddenly everything she said, everything she did made sense..

"Jess, I'm.. I'm so sorry." I said softly, going over and picking up the stuffed lion from my pillow. I couldn't help but smile. She always joked about how my hair looked like a lion's mane in the morning, messed up and flying away in every direction.
"Jess.. I.. I didn't mean.. I'm sorry." I managed. What else was there to say? There was no coming back from this.

"I'm sure it doesn't mean much now but.. Happy Valentine's Day." I muttered, the words tasting bitter as they left my tongue. How dare I say that now? Of course they didn't mean anything. All she wanted was for me to be there today.. and I couldn't even do that.

And for what? Some stupid interviews for something I probably wasn't even going to win? When all I had ever wanted was waiting up for me? I couldn't believe how stupid I was being.
"Yeah.." She whispered. My heart sunk as I finally brought myself to open her card.

Dear Jake,

It was impossible for me to find a card that fully captures how much I love you, not just today, but everyday. So, I tried my best to put it into a song.

My heart sunk.
She wrote me another song?

Everything you write for me is so beautiful, I only hope I can come close to returning the favor.

Happy Valentine's Day!
I love you, always & forever.

Love, Jess.

I reached over for the piece of paper she had left under the card, reading through the lyrics. I felt like I was going to be sick. This was.. beautiful. What I would give to hear her sing this to me.

I remember the day she played me the first song she wrote for me. Back in my bedroom, using one of my old guitars. It was like she had done this a thousand times. No one had ever written a song for me before; it was so nice to be on the other side of it. She was so effortlessly beautiful, making me fall in love with her all over again. I had never felt as loved as I did that day. That was the first time we ever..

I shook the thought, trying not to make myself even more upset than I already was.

"You wrote me another song?" I asked, turning back to her, feeling tears come to my eyes. She nodded, looking down.
"C-can I hear it?" She shook her head. My stomach dropped. I figured.
"I understand. I.. Jess, I'm so sorry. It's just.. with everything going on, I.. I barely know what day it is anymore.."

I even tuned myself out as I began to ramble. This was all bullshit and I knew it. The least I could've done was remember. I knew it wasn't at all about the gifts for her. All she wanted was for me to just.. be there. All she ever wanted was to just be with me and.. I couldn't even give her that today.

".. you probably hate me." I sighed. And she had every reason to, I wouldn't blame her. If the roles were reversed, I'd be just as upset and I knew it. I had always loved Valentine's Day too, and of all years, to forget the first with my fiancé.. I hated myself for it.
"I could never hate you." She whispered. My heart sunk.
"But.. you're upset."