Chapter 196: When It Comes to You

"Dad!" I yelled, hoping up from the couch. I could already feel Sam's eyes on me.
Why would he say that? What could Jake have possibly done to make him say that?
That was honestly the last thing I needed Sam to hear right now.

"Is this what you wanted to talk to me about?" He snapped. "You letting him knock you up? You really thought I was going to be happy about that?" My heart sunk. I hated that term. That wasn't at all what this was. He had no idea how we felt about this, how much this meant to us.

I had heard enough.

I quickly made my way towards the back room, my dad reaching out for me.
"No!" I snapped, pulling away from him. "You.. you have no idea what you're talking about. He-" I stopped, feeling tears come to my eyes, pushing my way past him and slamming the door behind me. Jake kept his head down, staying seated on the edge of the bed.

He couldn't even look at me.

"Jake.." I sighed, moving into his lap. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean.."
He finally peeked up at me and I could tell he was holding back tears. I wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him tightly.

All I wanted was to be with him, and I didn't care what anyone else thought about it anymore. I wanted my family, but if this was how he was going to be, I just couldn't do it anymore. It wasn't fair to him or me.

"Jake, I don't care what anyone says. We-"
"Jess, you should have your family, and I'm sorry that I'm not-"
"I do have family. With you, with them.. I have your family. And soon it will be our family. And that is more than good enough for me, I promise. If having my family means doing this to you then.. I don't want them. I'm so sorry I keep putting you through this. I just thought that.. maybe once he heard.. he could be happy for me but.. I guess not."

He held his stare on me, now reaching up, gently touching my cheek.
"Jess.. do you.. do you ever wonder.. if Sa-"
"No." I said, cutting him off, already knowing where this was going. I hated how easy it was for my dad to get into his head, after all the time I spent trying to get him out of it.
"Jake, I don't wonder about anything.. or anyone, because this.. you.. are exactly what I want."

"I'm sorry I told him, Jess. It just.. it slipped out." I shook my head, pulling him into a kiss. He slowly moved his hand into my hair, pulling me closer.
"It's okay." I sighed. "It probably would've went.. a little better if I told him but-"
"I know, and I'm sorry. He just.. he always knows exactly what to say to get under my skin and I don't understand what I ever did to make him hate me so much. I.. I'm not like Travis, and I would never do anything he did to you, you know that.. right?" I pulled him into another long kiss.

"Of course I know that. I know you, and.. I don't need anyone's approval. Our family comes first now, so that means you come first, and anyone who tries to come between that.. I don't want them around my family. I only have a few months and.. when it's time, I want everything to be perfect. I don't want my child going through what I did and that means.. deciding who we want around us, and who we don't."

"Jess, you feel like this now but.. when the day gets closer.. you're gonna want him here." He said softly, reaching for my hand. I intertwined our fingers, holding my stare on him, shaking my head.
"I'm not gonna put you through this every time he comes around. You don't deserve it. You make me so happy and if he can't see that.. then he'll never see it. And I don't want anyone ruining this for me. We are so lucky that this is even happening.. so.. anyone who can't be happy for us.. doesn't get to be a part of it."
"I just don't want you to regret-"
"I won't. This is my decision. And I will always choose you." A soft smile spread across his lips as he pulled me into another passionate kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back harder.