Chapter 190: Life Changing

And I was right.

More and more fans began lining up earlier outside of the venues, eventually trickling over to right outside the bus. I peeked out the window to see them huddled around the doors, just waiting for a glimpse of any of the guys. I'd like to think this had nothing to do with the engagement and everything to do with the fact that Jake was getting more and more publicity for the band, but lately it was getting harder to believe.

"You should go talk to them." I said, turning to Jake. "They want to see you." He peeked out, quickly turning back.
"I don't understand why they've gotten so crazy lately." He said softly.
"They're just excited about you." I giggled. "I can't say that I blame them." He shrugged, a smile escaping his lips. I looked out the window again to see a few of them staring back up, waving when they noticed me.
"Well, they saw me.. now you have to go out there." I laughed. He sighed, shaking his head.
"They're basically waiting outside of our living room window." He giggled. "That's what this is."
"They're harmless." I said, leaning in, gently kissing his forehead as I got up from the couch.

"Oh.. where are you going?" He asked, turning back towards me.
"I just.. have a headache, and I've been tired so.." I shrugged, leaning in the doorway, forcing a smile. But what I really wanted was to avoid being pulled outside with him. I had heard enough over the last few days, I didn't want to talk to anyone else about the engagement or that music video ever again.
"Okay.." He managed. "I.. I won't be too long." I nodded, going into the room.

Jake's P.O.V

I watched as Jess made her way into the back room, shutting the door behind her. I'm sure she felt fine. She just didn't want to deal with them anymore, and I didn't blame her. This was my fault. She shouldn't have to deal with them. She didn't sign up for any of this, and I felt horrible that she was being dragged into it because of me.

I could hear their voices just outside the door as I made my way down the steps, instantly getting quiet as I turned the knob.
"Hey guys!" I called out, flashing them a smile. They backed away nervously, flashing me their timid grins. "You guys are so crazy, waiting out here for so long just for us." I laughed. Their smiles grew as they laughed amongst themselves.
"Well, we love you guys!" One said, holding out her CD. I smiled back at her, signing it, leaning in close as she took a photo.

"Thank you so much for coming out. I hope you enjoy the show!" I said. And the process continued until I was able to make my way through the group, making sure I got to everyone. I anticipated they'd eventually leave after we all talked, but they hung around. I wasn't entirely sure what to do, feeling like it would be rude to just leave them.

"So.. where are you guys from?" I asked, trying my best to make conversation.
"I drove 5 hours to get here!" One said. "So it would be so nice if you guys could play closer next time." She laughed. I nodded.
"Yeah, I'm sorry." I laughed. "I have no control over where we play. They tell me where to go and I just get on the bus." They all laughed amongst each other again.
"Is Jess gonna come out?" One asked. My stomach dropped.

"Oh, um.. no, she's.. she's not feeling well today. She wants to make sure she's good for the show later so she's laying down."
"Are you guys really engaged?! That's so sweet. We're so happy for you!" I couldn't help but smile, feeling my cheeks burn, ignoring the subtle comments from the back of the group, most along the lines of "well, not all of us.."

"Y-yeah." I said, knowing I couldn't deny it now. "Thank you guys.. so much, really. Yeah, we're.. we're really happy."
"Were you guys dating before the tour started?" My face felt hot, unsure of how much I should actually be answering.
"Um.. n-no, we.. we met the first day. I had seen her work online and.. I knew we had to have her for the tour and well, the rest was history." I laughed, feeling my blushing get worse. Their smiles grew.