Chapter 131: In The Morning

"Will you stop! Just stop! I don't know what you're trying to do, but you're fucking everything up!" I heard out in the hallway. My stomach dropped. I'd know that voice anywhere. I backed away, peeking over Sam's shoulder.

"Did you hear that?" I asked. He shook his head.
"I'm.. I'm sure it's nothing. People are yelling all the time back here." He laughed, pulling me back into another kiss. He was right, but.. I could swear that I heard-

"Who do you think you are, telling Jess that you are I are hanging out? Take a hint, okay! I don't want you! I want her!" He yelled. 

I could feel my heart beating faster. That was Jake. And he was yelling.. at Charlotte? I felt my cheeks burn as I pulled away again, looking back over at the door.
"Sam, I think that's-"
"Really, Jess, I'm sure it's nothing." He said sweetly, staring back at me. I bit down on my lip, looking back up at him. Maybe he was right. And besides.. that wasn't my business anymore.

So.. he really wasn't hanging out with Charlotte? He did say he didn't want her. So she was just.. making it all up. I tried my hardest to contain my smile, but quickly shook the thought. 

I couldn't get caught up in this again.

Okay.. so he wasn't interested in Charlotte, but that didn't mean that things were different. Chances are things were never going to change, and I just had to accept it. Besides, I literally had someone right in front of me who.. could actually talk to me; who made me feel safe and comfortable and.. loved, without having to worry about he was going to treat me tomorrow. And isn't this everything I've wanted? Everything I've had to beg Jake for..

"You're right." I sighed. His smile grew as his hands moved down to my hips, leaning in closer, kissing me again. I reached up, tangling my fingers in his hair, kissing him back. He winced, slightly pulling away.
"Oh, I'm sorry." I giggled. "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked, gently touching his cheek. He sighed, nodding.
"Yeah, just.. still a little sore."
"Do you need anything?" I asked. He smirked, shrugging back at me.
"Well.." He said, pulling me back into a gentle kiss. I couldn't help but smile, giggling to myself.

"...She deserves someone who can give her everything she wants and.. right now.. I.. I guess that's Sam. She needed me, and I wasn't there. I have to start taking responsibility too, and I am trying, but now she thinks I'm fucking around with you to spite her.." 

My heart dropped. 

I instantly pulled away, looking back over at the door. Sam stared back at me wide-eyed, his face dropping.
"Sam, I just think I should-"
"Jess.. don't go." He said softly. I felt my cheeks burn as I looked back up at him. My heart was pounding in my chest. I wanted nothing more than to run out after him but.. 

I knew that I couldn't.

"Okay." I finally said, giving him a gentle smile. He smiled back, taking my hand.
"Come on.. you wanna wait backstage with me?" He asked, motioning towards the door. I bit down on my lip, nodding as he helped me down from the countertop. He wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close, kissing the top of my head and lead me down the hallway towards his side of the stage.

After The Envy finished their set, Sam went over, grabbing his bass, tossing it over his head, and adjusted the strap. I hung back, standing up against the wall as I admired him in his new outfit; light blue jacket with pants to match, bare chest exposed underneath. 

They all always looked so handsome on stage.

He caught me staring, smirking over at me.
"What?" He giggled to himself, his cheeks burning red. I shrugged, smiling back at him.
"Nothing." I sighed. "You look good." His smile grew as he looked down at his feet.
"Thank you." He said softly. "So do you." I shook my head, feeling my heart beat faster.

"So.. what's the plan for after the show tonight?" I asked. He shrugged.
"There's a bar down the road we were all thinking about." He said. I nodded.
"Another bar huh?" I laughed.
"Yeah, well.. there's not much else out here. Maybe when we get closer to your town you can show me a good night out." I nodded, reaching out for his jacket, pulling him in closer. He swung his bass behind his back, leaning one hand up against the wall as looked down at me, giving me a subtle smile.
"I'd like that." I said softly, reaching up, gently touching his cheek. He stared back at me with dazed eyes.