Chapter 129: Just One

Later That Night

"You ready to head in?" Sam asked, peeking out the window. "There.. are a lot of people outside tonight, so.. if you want to go first.." I sat up, looking out the window. He wasn't kidding. I would always be surprised that despite how cold it was, that never kept people from waiting out so early.

"Y-yeah, I can go." I finally said, smiling at him. He smirked back at me.
"I mean, I have no problem going in together, I just thought-"
"It's okay, it's.. probably for the best." I said, leaning in, gently kissing him on the lips.

"How's your face feeling?" I asked, getting up from the couch. He shrugged.
"I'll be fine." He giggled to himself.
"Do you want more ice or-"
"Jess, I'm fine." He said softly, staring up at me with dazed eyes.
"Okay.." I sighed. "I'll.. I'll see you inside then." His smile grew as he nodded.

"Hey, wait up, I'm heading out too." Josh called, rolling out of his bunk. He quickly fixed his hair and straightened out his clothes.
"Of course you are." I laughed, waiting at the top of the steps. He smirked at me, shaking his head.
"Come on." He said, wrapping his arm around me, leading us down the steps. "And don't worry, once the tour is over we can make this go away. But.. it's just easier to keep playing along so they don't ask questions."
"Whatever you say." I giggled to myself. I heard screams coming from outside the venue as we stepped off the bus. Josh flashed them a smile, waving to them as we got closer.
"So.. are we gonna talk about-"
"No." I laughed, shaking my head. He sighed, nodding.
"Gotcha."

As we got inside, he pulled his arm away, giving me a subtle smile.
"I'm sure he'll be right in." He said, motioning towards the door before heading backstage. I smirked, nodding, leaning back up against the wall as I pulled out my camera, adjusting it while waited. 

"Hey!" I heard from down the hall. My stomach dropped. Unfortunately, I'd know that voice anywhere.
"Oh.. hey." I managed, forcing a smile. Charlotte made her way over, guitar slung over her shoulder, flashing me the fakest smile I had ever seen, waving enthusiastically.
"You excited for the show?" She said, now standing uncomfortably close to me. I nodded.
"Yeah, should be fun." I said simply, keeping my eyes locked on my camera.
"Yeah, after should be even better though, Jake promised to teach me some new stuff, and there's nothing better than learning from the best." She said. I could hear the evil smile in her voice. I nodded.
"Yeah, he's really good." I said, finally looking up at her. She nodded, her eyes getting wide.
"He really is, anyone would be lucky to get to spend time with him, let alone date him." I felt my cheeks burn. Where was she going with this?

"Mhm.." I said. She nodded.
"Yeah, you of course would know, out of anyone, but I guess things don't always work out. What can you do, right? At least you have options here." My stomach dropped, my body going cold.
"W-what do you m-"
"Well, anyway, gotta go. Him and I are hanging out before the show, and who knows where that'll lead to." She giggled to herself. "See you later!" And then she made her way down the hall.

I kept my eyes on her until she disappeared, my heart pounding in my chest. He was already hanging out with her? Despite everything I told him? Despite everything he had just said to me.. 

I shook the thought. I didn't matter anymore. He could do whatever he wanted. If anything, this just made my choice even easier. Whether Sam wanted something serious or not.. 

When I turned back around, I saw Jake making his way down the hall. My stomach dropped. He was probably already on his way to see her.
"Hey.." He said, giving me a gentle smile. My heart started beating faster.
"Hi." I said plainly. I looked down at his hands to see him carrying two bottles of water. I assumed the other one was for her. "That for Charlotte?" I blurted out.