Chapter 28: Tension

"Well that was humiliating." I sighed, tossing his shirt back to him. He threw mine over to me, smirking.
"Well, he should've knocked." Jake said simply.
"You know he's upset, Jake." He stopped, looking over at me.
"I know, but I'm allowed to be happy too." I sat down on the bed, staring back up at him. 

"I know, but.." I shrugged, looking away. "We can be sensitive towards him."
"If the roles were reversed-" I cut him off.
"If the roles were reversed, he would be sensitive towards you." He stared back at me, biting down on his lip.

"He.. he wrote me a song." I said quietly, avoiding Jake's eyes.
"He what?" He snapped. My cheeks burned as I looked back at him.
"He wrote me a song. He played it for me the other night. Everyone was sleeping, and we were the only ones awake. We were in his bunk and-"
"Why were you in his bunk?" He snapped.
"It wasn't like that, Jake." I sighed.

"Well, then what happened?" He asked, his face getting redder.
"Nothing happened.. I.. I didn't really know what to say. So.. I just came back to bed. And that was it." I could tell there was a lot he wanted to say, but he stayed quiet.

"What are you thinking?" I finally asked.
"I'm thinking.. why is my brother writing songs for my girlfriend?" He snapped.
"We don't have to make this a big deal." I said quietly, looking away again. "I just wanted you to know. I didn't want to keep it from you."

"Well, how do you feel about it?" He asked.
"It was a beautiful song. He's.. he's just coping. I didn't see anything wrong with it." Jake held his stare on me.

"Jake, I love you." I said softly. He finally sat down on the edge of the bed, his face relaxing.
"Why did you wait so long to tell me?" He asked, staring back at me with sad eyes. I shrugged.
"I was going to tell you. There just... wasn't a good time between then and now." He nodded, looking down.

"And.. nothing happened?" He asked. I shook my head.
"Nothing happened." He nodded again. I moved closer, gently holding his face in my hands.
"And.. you didn't want anything to happen, right?" He said softly, his eyes sad, staring back into mine. I felt my heart drop. 

I had never seen him like this before.

"No." I said, gently kissing him on the lips. 
"Okay." He sighed, giving me a subtle smile. He reached up, tangling his fingers in my hair and  pulling me into another kiss. I moved closer, climbing back onto this lap, kissing him back.

"We should head out. Everyone's probably waiting for you." He sighed, leaning his forehead against mine.
"You're right, I know." He got up, taking my hand and lead me down the steps of the bus where we were instantly met with screams from the fans waiting outside.

"I'm.. gonna go wait with your family while you talk to them, okay?" I said.
"You sure? You can stay, it's okay. They wanna meet you too." He laughed, his grip on my hand getting tighter. I nodded.
"Yeah, it's okay. I'll see you when you're done." I whispered. He smiled and leaned down, quickly kissing me on the lips. My cheeks burned as he flashed me a big smile.
"Sorry." He mouthed, and then went down the line.

I made my way backstage where I eventually saw Ronnie standing with Danny, Sam and Josh.
"There you are!" Ronnie yelled, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. She turned to the guys.
"Her and I are gonna be best friends." She looked over at me. "They never bring any girls home. I'm so glad I finally have someone to hang out with."

"Well, Jess has to shoot the show." Sam laughed. "She's on the clock."
"Oh, stop. You guys look the same every night. You can't let her watch with us for one night? She's family now." I couldn't help but smile.