Chapter 106: Never Been Happier

When I opened my eyes, the room was dark. We must have both fallen asleep. I peeked down to see Jake was still passed out, one hand tightly clutching onto my shirt, his face nuzzled in my neck. I couldn't help but smile, gently running my fingers up and down his back. I pulled him closer, gently kissing his forehead. He shifted, a small smile spreading across his lips. Finally I felt him sigh, slowly opening his eyes.

"Hi.." He whispered, looking up at me. My heart started beating faster.
"I didn't mean to wake you up." I said softly, running my fingers through his hair. "Go back to sleep." He smiled, shaking his head.
"I'm okay. How long was I out?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.
"I don't know." I laughed. "I fell asleep too." His smile grew as he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me up against him.

"I'm happy you're home." He whispered, gently pressing his lips against my forehead. My cheeks burned as I slipped one of my hands into his, intertwining our fingers. I felt his smile grow.
"Home.." I said softly. I heard him giggle, holding on to me even tighter.
"Well.. anywhere with you is home to me now." My heart jumped. 

I maneuvered out of his arms, smiling down at him. He stared back up at me, biting down on his lip. I reached out, gently touching his cheek.
"I love you." I sighed. His smile grew into a wide grin as he sat up to face me, leaning in close.
"I love you." He said, gently holding my face in his hand, pulling me into a kiss. I grabbed onto his shirt, pulling him in closer, kissing him back. He sighed as he backed away, leaning his forehead against mine.

"Jess.." He said, staring back at me, his face dropping. I could tell something was still bothering him.
"What is it?" I asked, reaching up, running my hands through his hair again. A gentle smile spread across his lips, but his eyes remained sad. "W-what's wrong, Jake?"

He looked down at our hands, gently rubbing his thumb around my palm.
"Jess, did.. did you ever.. regret it almost being with me?" He asked quietly, avoiding my eyes.
"What almost being with you?" I asked, intertwining our fingers again. He hesitated for a moment, peeking back up at me.
"Getting pregnant.." He finally said. 

My heart sunk.

"Jake.." I sighed, tilting his chin up. He stared back at me, his cheeks burning. "I am so lucky that it would have been with you. Never for a second have I regretted anything I've ever done with you." His smile grew as his face finally relaxed, now staring back at me with his usual dazed eyes.
"Okay.." He said, his eyes moving down to my lips. I leaned in, pulling him into a gentle kiss.

"What brought this up?" I asked. He shrugged, looking down again.
"I've.. I've just been thinking a lot.. since talking with your dad and-"
"My dad?" I said, feeling my heart beat faster. "What did he say to you?" He shook his head, keeping his eyes down.
"N-nothing, it.. it was nothing.."
"It obviously wasn't nothing.." I said, tilting his chin back up to face me. "Jake, did he say something to you?" He shrugged again, looking back down.

"It's.. it's nothing, I just .. I overthink sometimes, and I-" I reached over, pulling him into a passionate kiss. I felt him sigh, hesitating a moment before reaching up, tangling his fingers in my hair, kissing me back harder. I slowly moved my hands up his chest, feeling his heart beating through his shirt. His lips moved down to my neck, his kisses getting harder. I clung to his shirt, pulling him closer as he sat up, pushing me back down onto the pillows, lying over me. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he stared down at me with a gentle smile, his eyes in a daze again.

"You.. you didn't tell him about.. what almost happened, did you?" I asked. "D-does he know?" He bit down on his lip, shaking his head.
"No.. I was just.. thinking. About a lot of things." He said softly. I stared back up at him, gently running my fingers down his cheek.

"Well.. I can tell you, when it is time.. I couldn't be happier that it'll be with you." I said softly, my heart beating faster. He rolled over next to me, propping his head up onto his hand.
"Not if, but.. when?" He asked, flashing me a big smile. My cheeks burned red as I bit down on my lip, doing my best to contain my smile. I leaned in, kissing him again.
"When." I sighed. He held his stare on me, his eyes getting wide.

"But don't get ahead of yourself." I giggled, playfully shoving him. He laughed as he fell back over, now staring up at me, wide-eyed. "There are still.. a lot of things I want to do.. before that." He nodded, reaching over for my hand again.
"Me too." He said. "I just.. I know what I said, but then that day.. when.. it was a possibility.. I just.. I can't say that I wasn't.. a little disappointed."
"R-really?" I asked, my heart beating faster. He nodded, smirking back at me.

"Your dad did ask.. if I'd ever want a family one day." He said softly, looking back down at our hands. 
"And.. what did you say?" I asked, sitting back up.
"I said that I didn't. Until.. I met you."
"I'm sure he loved that." I sighed, laying across his chest, staring back up into his eyes. He reached over, gently touching my cheek, doing his best to contain his smile.
"He.. didn't really like anything I had to say." He laughed. I pushed myself up, crawling back on top of him.

"I don't want you to listen to him, okay? I.. I don't care what anyone says. The only one's opinions who matter.. are ours. And.. I don't know about you, but.. I'm happy." He sighed, flashing me a toothy grin before reaching back up, and pulling me into a passionate kiss.

"I've never been happier." He whispered, kissing me again. I moved my hands up his chest, gently wrapping my arms around his neck.
"Me either."