Chapter 163: No Promises

Jake's P.O.V

"Sam!" I yelled, trying to catch up with him as he stormed off into the backyard.
"Sam!" I called out again. Finally, he stopped.
"Ugh, what!?" He groaned, turning around to face me, his face beet read. "Can't you just leave me alone?!"
"No!" I snapped. "How could you do that to her? You know what you say matters to her."
"Clearly not." He muttered, looking away.
"Yeah.. I heard." I said, feeling my cheeks burn. He peeked back at me, his face dropping.

"She told you.." He sighed.
"Of course she told me."
"Well, it just wouldn't be the first time.." He mumbled. My heart started beating faster.
"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means.. why does it get to be you? You weren't the one there for he during the bad times.. I was the one she cried on, every single time.. I was the one she came to. In what world, do you get to end up with her? You're the one who caused all this, the both of you together, where.. I'm the one always cleaning it up, and then when it's all better.. then she runs back to you. How is that fair, Jake?"

My heart dropped.
I hated that he was right.
But that didn't change how I felt about her.
Or how she felt about me.

She had made her choice.

"Sam, I'm sorry this happened, but.. she still sees you as her best friend.. and I know that's never going to go away. I'm.. I'm thankful you were there for her when I couldn't be but.. I am now. And I always will be. But that doesn't mean she doesn't need her best friend. I know there are things that she's never gonna wanna talk to me about.. but she feels comfortable with you."
"Yeah.." He scoffed. "Things about you." I bit down on my lip, nodding.
"Maybe.. but.. I know if the roles were reversed, she would be there for you."

He was quiet for a moment, avoiding my eyes, eventually making his way over to the picnic table across the yard. I followed him closely, sitting down across from him.

"And.. look, I'm not blind." I said softly, picking at the paint peeling from the table. "I know she feels things for you too, but.. she said yes to me. And I'm sorry that that hurts, but I know that it would mean a lot to her if you were there for her during all of this. It would mean a lot to me too. I'm sorry things turned out the way they did but.. she's away from home, we all have each other, but.. she doesn't really have anyone here that's.. hers. And.. even back home, she never really mentioned any friends. I just.. she has you, and I'm happy that she does have someone like you."

He peeked back up at me, his resentful glare slowly fading.
"And.. I'm sure that.. things.. happened between you two that, well, I don't think I'll ever want to know about. But-"
"Nothing really happened." He said softly. I nodded.
"Okay."

"I love her." He shrugged, avoiding my eyes again.
My heart dropped.

"And.. I'm sure she probably feels the same way about you." I said quietly. "Don't think that I don't know if, god forbid something happens, she's gonna run right to you.." I saw a small smirk spread across his lips. My cheeks burned.

"So.. I know I can't say anything about that. I just have to be.. okay with it. And.. I've accepted it. And I'd never risk giving her an ultimatum. Because, honestly, I have no idea how that would turn out for me. So.. I have to be okay with you being in her life as much as she's comfortable with."

"I just don't know if I can." He said softly. "Not right now."
"Okay.." I sighed. "I understand. But.. when you think you finally can.. just.. talk to her, please. For me, at least? And.. without confessing your love for her." I smirked. He nodded, giggling to himself.
"No promises." He said softly, looking back up at me.
"Fine." I sighed, holding in my smile .

He held his stare on me for a moment before lying his head down on the table.
"Fine.. I'll talk to her." He sighed. My smile grew.
"Thank you." He shrugged, keeping his eyes down.

I made my way back to the house to see Jess sitting at the counter with Ronnie, who already had her laptop out, scrolling through photos of different dresses. I couldn't help but smile, thankful she would at least have Ronnie through all of this. I watched them for a moment before finally opening the door. Jess' head shot up, looking over at me, flashing me a smile. My cheeks burned as my smile grew. I went over, gently kissing the top of her head, wrapping my arms around her. Her quiet giggles made my heart jump as she held onto my arms, leaning her head against them.

"He's outside." I whispered into her ear. "He.. wants to talk to you." She peeked up at me wide-eyed. I nodded, motioning towards the door. She hesitated for a moment before getting up, gently kissing my cheek, and then went outside.

Jess' P.O.V

My heart started beating faster and faster as I slowly made my way across the yard. Thankfully he kept his eyes down until I sat down across from him. He held his stare on me for a moment before a gentle smile spread across his lips. I bit down on my lip, trying to contain mine.

Finally, he reached out for my hand, looking my ring. He stayed quiet as he admired it, eventually placing my hand back down on the table.
"Pretty." He said nonchalantly, giving a sarcastic shrug. I smirked, feeling my face get hot.
"I'll take it." I laughed. His smile grew as he nodded, staring back at me.

He was quiet again, his smile just as contagious. I loved how easy it was just to laugh with him, even during times like this. Ironic how hard this has to be because of him, meanwhile he was the only one who could make this easier.

"I don't want to lose you." I finally blurted out. His smile grew, his cheeks burning red.
"Well, it's not too late to change your mind." He smirked, grabbing my hand again. I rolled my eyes.
"Sam.." I sighed. He shrugged, admiring it again.
"I mean.. I would've gotten you something a little nicer.. you like gold though, so at least he got that right, but.. I know you would've much preferred a solitaire ring instead of.. all of this.. and, I know you wanted a pear shaped diamond.. not circle."

I felt my heart jump, my entire body get hot. I couldn't believe he remembered all of that. I barely remembered mentioning any of that to him, but.. he was right.

He gently placed my hand back down, staring back at me with a smug smile.
"I.. I love my ring." I said softly, avoiding his eyes.
"I'm sure you do." He said simply.
"Sam, I-"
"Jess, even he knows there's something more between us. How can you sit here and tell me-"
"Because I love him."
"You love me."

I sighed, looking away.
"I just want you to be happy for me." I said quietly, gently spinning my ring around my finger.
"Well, I'm sorry, but that's kinda hard for me when I think you're making the wrong choice."
"I'm not." I mumbled.
"You are, and you know it."

I shook my head, getting up from the table.
"We.. we can talk later."
"No, Jess, we can talk now." He said, reaching out for my hand. My cheeks burned as he pulled me towards his side of the table. I sat back down, staring up at him. He stared back at me with his same dazed eyes and gentle smile.

"Look, even Jake knows there's something between us, everyone can see there's something between us, how is it so easy for you to just.. forget everything? How can you just.. turn it off once he's back in the picture? I just.. I don't understand because.. I can't, Jess."

I held my stare on him, not sure of what to say.
"I'm just saying.. after everything we've been though, after everything we will go through, because.. you and I both know we get closer.. every day. You really think when the time comes, you'll be able to marry him?"

I bit down on my lip, nodding, avoiding his eyes.
"Well then I guess we'll see." He sighed.