Chapter 78: Until She's Okay

Sam's P.O.V

As soon as I heard the bus door open, I just prayed that Jess had already fallen asleep. The last thing she needed to deal with was Jake, especially when he got like this.

I heard stumbling and a loud crash out in the main area of the bus as Jake made his way towards the bunks. It was taking everything in me not to explode, but I knew the second I opened the curtain to my bunk, it was going to turn into an entirely different argument. I was hoping to at least get through the night without anyone realizing Jess was in here.

I knew exactly how it looked. And then...

"What the fuck is this?" Jake yelled, right outside my bunk. My stomach dropped. My dirty clothes on the ground. Jess' shirt. I sighed, just waiting for the inevitable. I gently pulled the covers up, trying to cover Jess as much as I could, but as soon as he ripped open that curtain, I knew all hell was about to break loose. And like clockwork..

Jake whipped open my curtain, throwing Jess' shirt onto my face.
"What is this!" Jake snapped, now throwing the rest of my clothes at me. His eyes then immediately shot over to Jess, who thankfully was still asleep.

I'm hoping the alcohol kept her knocked out until morning.

I quickly hopped out of my bed, grabbing Jake by the arm and pulled him into the main area. He stumbled, grabbing onto me for balance as I shoved him onto the couch.
"Stop!" I snapped. "She's finally sleeping." He glared up at me, his face getting redder.

"Not even five minutes after we break up and she's already in bed with you." He laughed, rolling his eyes. "Not exactly who I expected but.. I can't say I'm surprised." He said, leaning back. He could barely keep his eyes open as he slowly swayed back and forth. There was no way he was remembering any of this in the morning.

And we were all going to have to deal with the aftermath of that.

He held his glare on me for a moment until his face dropped.
"I need to talk to her." He mumbled. I shook my head.
"No you don't. You don't need to be anywhere near her right now. She is heartbroken because of you. Just.. go to bed. We'll figure this out in the morning." He looked away as he continued to sway.

"W-why is she in your bed?" He asked softly, his tone changing. He stared up at me now with sad eyes. I sighed.
"She is devastated, Jake. And honestly.. she couldn't stand the thought of sleeping anywhere she's ever been with you, and.. I don't blame her. I offered her my bunk but.. she asked me to stay with her. Just so she wouldn't have to be alone." He glared back up at me.
"Nothing happened." I assured him. He looked away, eventually nodding.

"Just.. leave her alone tonight. She's been through enough. You both have." I said. He sighed, leaning back, his eyes now closing.
"Whatever.. she'll be fine. She'll just run back to Josh like she always does. Or you apparently, what the fuck do I know." He said, his words starting to slur.

"Jake, she loves you." I snapped, feeling my cheeks burn. "She was done, just like you wanted. She picked you. But then this thing pops back up, this thing you two could have easily worked through together, and instead you just.. you left her." I said, shaking my head, looking away. "You left her after everything you two went through together. I don't care what she said in the video, she would pick you over anyone, any day. And you just.. gave up."

He sat back up, leaning over onto the arm rest, propping his head up.
"Well.. maybe it was just too much for me, Sam. You have no idea how it feels-"
"No, I don't, and I know it must have been hard but after everything that's happened between you two, she can't even look at anyone else. She only sees you. She wanted you. She was finally done. You finally won, and as soon as she was ready to give you everything, you left her. I just.. I hope you don't regret it.. that's all." I sighed, turning away.

"Sam.." He said, forcing himself to sit back up. I stopped, turning around to face him again.
"She.. she really said that?" He asked, his voice getting quieter. I hesitated, eventually nodding. He looked back down at his feet, doing his best to hold himself up, and then reached out his hand, motioning for me to help him. I sighed, going over and grabbing his arm, lifting him up as much as his legs would allow.

"I just.. I need to talk to her." He said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.
"No." I snapped. "You're gonna stay away from her. She's hurting and.. I'm not gonna let you confuse her."
"I just need to-"
"No." I said, guiding him down the hall, into the back room. "Stay in here tonight. Give her space."
"She's gonna think I don't lov-"
"You already showed her you don't. You left her. You.." I stopped, placing him down on the bed. "Did you even listen to her? You know, she was working up the courage to talk to you all night and you just.. blew her off." He pushed himself up, now staring up at me, tears coming to his eyes.

I had to look away. I hated seeing him like this. I hated seeing any of my brothers like this.

"Just.. go to sleep, Jake. We'll worry about it tomorrow. But.. do not talk to her. Don't even come near her. You.. you didn't see her. She just.. she needs a break. So just leave her alone for a little while. Until she's okay."

He nodded, wiping his face.
"Okay.." He sighed. "But.. can you just.. can you give her this?" He said, handing me a small gold ring. My heart dropped.
"She gave it back. Which.. I understand but.. I want her to have it. I.. I still mean what I said when I gave it to her. I do, I just.. I didn't know.. all of that. Not really. But.. just please give it back to her.. for me." I bit down on my lip, taking the ring from him.
"Okay." I said, walking out, shutting the door behind me.

I gently pulled back the curtain of my bunk to see Jess was still asleep. I sighed, feeling a small smile escape my lips. I gently pulled the blanket back down, pushing the hair out of her face. I tried my best to climb back up without waking her, but no such luck.

"Mmm.." I heard, her eyes slowly opening. "Sam?"
"Sorry, hey.." I whispered. "It's okay, go back to sleep."
"D-did Jake come back?" She asked, looking up at me, her eyes tired and bloodshot. I bit down on my lip, shaking my head.
"N-not yet." I said quietly. "But.. I'm sure he'll be back soon, don't worry." She nodded, moving her arm up, wrapping it around me, laying her head down on my chest again. I felt my cheeks burn.

I reached over, gently running my fingers through her hair, pulling her closer to me. Feeling my eyelids get heavy, I shoved the ring into my pocket before finally falling asleep.