Chapter 98: Samuel

As we got back into the car, Jake slammed the door behind him. My stomach dropped. I hated when he got like this.

"Hey, um.. I think it would be better if I talked to him.. alone." I said softly. He held his glare out the front window.
"No, I'm gonna talk to him." He snapped, pulling out of the parking lot.
"Jake, you're angry and he's not-"
"Of course I'm angry, Jess. He could've ruined everything."
"But he didn't. We're together and we're happy. So.. please just let me talk to him. We were all drinking that night, what if he just forgot, I'm sure he didn't mean-"

"Forgot?" He yelled. "You don't forget something like that, Jess. Why are you making excuses for him?" I felt my cheeks burn.
"I'm.. I'm not making excuses, I just-"
"You are, Jess."
"Jake please, I don't want to fight today." He bit down on his lip, nodding.

"Fine." He said softly. "You talk to him."
"Thank you." I whispered. I then reached over, gently taking his hand. He hesitated for a minute, but a smile eventually escaped his lips as he peeked over at me.

"I'm really excited about our place." I said, intertwining our fingers. He nodded, his smile growing.
"Me too." He said softly. "And.. with the next leg of the tour, it might be a little while until we can really get settled in but.. I like that it's still.. ours." I nodded.

As we pulled up their driveway, Jake stopped the car, turning to me.
"Hey, maybe I should go with you guys." He said, biting down on his lip. I sighed, smiling back at him.
"I think Sam just wanted it to be.. me and him." I said. He scrunched up his face.
"Why would he care if it was just you two?" I shrugged.
"I don't know, it's his gift to me, I just-" He sighed, looking away.

"And.. if I'm gonna talk to him, I think it would be better if you weren't there. I know how you get. Things may not.. go as well." I said quietly.
"Fine." He sighed, pulling away. My face dropped as I got out of the car, following closely behind him.

I saw Sam sitting at their kitchen counter as we made our way in. He turned to me, giving me a subtle smile. I could see Jake tense up as Sam hopped out of his chair, making his way over. I reached over, gently rubbing his arm. He peeked back at me, giving me a small smile before heading down the hallway to his bedroom.

"You ready?" Sam asked, grabbing his keys. I nodded, smiling back up at him. His cheeks burned as he smiled back, leading us outside to his car. I knew I had to talk to him about the ring, but I figured I'd wait until later. There was no sense ruining the day just yet. I really don't think he meant anything by it. 

I'm sure it was all just a misunderstanding. 

As I got in his car, I realized that Sam and I had never really spent time alone like this before. Not without the risk of anyone else showing up. He reached his arm around, placing it on the back of my seat as he turned to back out of the driveway. I felt my cheeks burn.

"So.. what do you think I should get?" I asked, turning to face him. He smirked over at me.
"Well... that all depends." He said. "You could get a guitar, if you want, you know, the safe choice, or you could have some taste and get a bass, where then I could teach you how to play our songs." He laughed. My smile grew.

"Oh, so I could play your songs." I laughed. "I thought you were gonna help me with my songs." He flashed me a bigger smile, his cheeks burning.
"Have you been writing more?" He asked, biting down on his lip. I hesitated for a moment, but eventually nodded.
"Maybe.." I said quietly, looking forward. He nodded, turning away.
"W-what have you been writing about?" He asked. I felt my heart start to beat faster.
"Don't worry about it." I giggled to myself. I saw him smile again out of the corner of my eye.