Chapter 32: Room for One More

When I backed away, he stared back at me with a huge grin. I felt my cheeks burn, doing my best to ignore the fact that I knew everyone could see us. He reached his hand forward, pulling me back in and kissing me again.

"I know what you're doing, but I don't care." He giggled to himself, smiling back with dazed eyes. "I could kiss you all day."
"I don't know what you're talking about." I said, smirking back at him. "I just want everyone to know you're mine."

His smile grew as his face got even redder.
"What about when we're back on the road?" He asked quietly, slipping his hand into mine, intertwining our fingers.
"Even back on the road." I sighed, rolling my eyes, flashing him a smile.

I was always a private person when it came to stuff like this, but he made it so easy to feel like we were the only two people in the world. I was starting to not mind who knew about us. I knew it would be different once we left, but I told myself it would be okay...

As long as I had him.

"Are they still looking?" I whispered, keeping my eyes locked on him. He quickly peeked over, and nodded, his eyes getting wider.
"Good." I said, leaning in and gently kissing his cheek. "I hope he sees."
"What happened to not rubbing it in?" He asked, smirking back at me. My cheeks burned.
"That was before he brought your ex into it." I said plainly. He bit down on his lip, nodding.

"I really don't want you to think about that." He said, running his fingers through my hair. "I meant it when I said it wasn't serious. I really don't care that she's here. I'm just so happy to be with y-"
"Shhh.." I cut him off, placing my finger over his lips. "It's okay."

He sighed, nodding and peeking back over at them. I saw his face drop.
"What's going on?" I asked. He scrunched up his face, his eyes getting angrier.
"He's taking her to the lake." He said sternly.
"Oh." I said quietly, my stomach dropping. He shook his head.

"Come on." He said, taking my hand and helping me up. "You don't have to deal with this."

He lead me through the backyard and back inside where we saw his mom in the kitchen cleaning up.
"Here, you sit." He said, pulling out a chair for me, and then went over to his mom and started drying the dishes. I couldn't help but smile.

"Jake's always been the one to help me around the house." She said, smiling up at him. His cheeks turned red as he rolled his eyes. "He's always been a momma's boy."
"I have not!" He laughed, his face getting redder.
"There's nothing wrong with that." I said, chiming in. He peeked over at me, giving me a smile. I felt my heart start to beat faster. It was nice getting to be with them like this.

I wish we never had to leave.

"So, are we ever going to your hometown?" Jake asked, putting the dishes away.
"Actually, we will be next week." I said, now realizing we had never actually talked about playing my city.
"Where are you from?" His mom asked, turning to me. Jake looked over too, grabbing another dish from the counter.
"New York." I said. "Brooklyn, more specifically."
"Oh, a city girl." She said. "So this must be very different for you out here." I nodded.
"Absolutely, but.. I'm starting to think I might like it a little more out here." I laughed. Jake's smile grew. I saw his mom peek over at him, and then back to me.

"Here.." She said taking the dish from him. "I'll finish up here. Why don't you two go spend some time alone together while you're home. I can finish alone."
"Are you sure?" He asked. She nodded, smiling back at him. He smirked, tossing the towel aside and came back over to me.

He motioned toward his room, holding his hand out. I took it and followed him closely, shutting the door behind us. I plopped back onto his bed, cuddling against one of his pillows. It smelled just like him.

His bedroom would always be special now.

He sat down in his desk chair, spinning around to face me.
"I didn't know you lived in New York." He said. I nodded, smirking back at him.
"There's a lot about me you don't know." He nodded, biting down on his lip, his cheeks getting red.
"Well, what do you like to do there?" He asked, slowly turning back and forth in his chair. I shrugged.
"There are always interesting things to photograph. I think that's why I got into photography. Home was always so beautiful and I wanted to remember everything. You can walk the same street every day and it's always going to be different." His smile grew the more I talked. I could feel my cheeks burning.

"What?" I laughed. He shook his head, his smile growing.
"Nothing." He said sweetly. "You're just cute when you talk about things you're passionate about." I rolled my eyes, looking away. He got up from his chair and sat down across from me, gently pushing the hair out of my face. I stared back at him, my heart starting to beat faster.

"Why don't you like when I compliment you?" He asked, his face dropping a little. I shrugged.
"It's not that I don't like it." I said simply. "I guess.. I'm just not used to it, and never really believed it." He held my face in his hand, gently rubbing his thumb across my cheek. I moved in closer to him, my eyes moving down to his lips. He noticed, and smirked back at me.

"Well, you should always believe it." He sighed. "You deserve to be complimented all the time and I want to be the one to do it, and I promise to.. every day."

I felt my heart beating faster. He held his stare as he leaned in, kissing me hard on the lips, his fingers tangling in my hair. I moved closer, grabbing onto his shirt, pulling him in closer.

He made it so easy to want him.

Then I heard voices out in the kitchen.
"Oh, hello Amy. Long time no see." His mom said, her voice cheerful but confused. "Jake isn't here right now."
"That's okay, I'm not here to see Jake." She said simply, like it was normal. Then I heard the back door shut.
"I invited her over." Josh said. "Her and I have been talking for a little while so we've been catching up."
"Oh.." Their mom said, her tone concerned. "Well.. I hope you've been well."
"I have. Josh has been telling me all about their tour, and he said it would be fun to join them, so he invited me to come on the road with them too."

My heart dropped.