Chapter 109: New Year's Eve - Part 2

As I hopped down, Jake took my hand, intertwining our fingers, gently swinging our arms as he lead us back inside. There were already more people in here than I recognized. I underestimated just how big their family really was. I felt my heart start to beat faster the more I looked around. He could tell. He squeezed my hand tighter, leaning down close.

"You okay?" He whispered into my ear. I bit down on my lip, nodding.
"Yeah, um.. I just.. I'll be right back, okay? I just need to go get something." His face dropped.
"What is it? Do you.. want me to come with you?" He asked. I shook my head, giving him a quick kiss before making my way down to the end of the hall, knocking on the last door. It didn't take long for Sam to answer.

"Hey.." I said. My cheeks burned as I instantly looked down to see him standing there, still just in a towel, tightly wrapped around his waist. He stared back at me, his eyes moving down to my dress.
"Wow.." He whispered, his smile growing. "You look.. beautiful." My heart jumped.
"O-oh.. thank you." I said, biting down on my lip, containing my smile. He nodded, smirking back at me. My mind went blank as he stared back at me, propping his arm up, leaning against the doorway. 
"So.. what's going on?" He asked. My cheeks burned red as I quickly snapped out of it.
"Oh, um.. I.. I.. uh- right.. I was wondering if.. you had my ring." I finally managed. He nodded, his face dropping as he turned back into his room. I waited a moment before following him in.

I had never been in his room before.

I made my way over to his bed, sitting down on the edge, looking around. It was dark and cozy; he kept his lamp dim and candles lit over on his desk. There was a woodsy smell lingering in the air with the faintest hint of vanilla, relaxing and sweet. And his shelves were filled with the biggest record collection I had ever seen. It was relatively clean, but clearly lived in. It was so comfortable, I could just curl up and fall asleep right now. 

I didn't want to leave.

I watched him make his way over to his book shelf. My heart started beating faster as my eyes stayed glued on his bare back until he turned around. I quickly looked away, feeling my cheeks burn bright red. 

"Here you go." He sighed, sitting down close across from me, his leg brushing up against mine. I kept my eyes down, hoping he wouldn't notice how badly I was blushing.
"Thank you." I said, taking  it and slipping it back on my finger. He nodded.
"I.. I'm sorry I didn't give it back to you right away, I just.. I was just trying to look out for you." He said softly, peeking back up at me. I held my stare on him, doing my best to concentrate but I was too distracted by the wet strands of hair that he left hanging in front of his face.
"And then it just.. never felt like the right time to give it back. I didn't mean anything by it, I promise. I'm sorry if I caused any problems."

"It's okay." I said softly. He got back up, going into his closet where he started getting dressed. Part of me felt like that was my cue to go, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave.

"So.. what are you wearing tonight?" I asked, getting up to look around.
"Well, I had something in mind but after seeing you.. I think I need to find something a little nicer." He laughed.
"Oh, you look great in anything." I said softly, going over to his records, flipping through them one by one.
"You really think so?" He asked, peeking out from his closet, flashing me a smile. My cheeks burned. I nodded, turning back away.

"You have so many records." I said, quickly changing the subject. I heard him giggle behind me.
"Well.. everything sounds better on vinyl." He said simply. I peeked over at him as he finally walked back out, now wearing dark red pants, his chest still bare.

"Shirt or no shirt?" He asked, holding out a red jacket in one hand and a silver button-up in the other. 
"Shirt." I quickly said, feeling my cheeks burn as I did my best to keep my eyes from wandering down to his chest. He smirked at me, hanging up his jacket and slid his arms through the sleeves of his shirt, leaving it unbuttoned. He turned around, looking at himself in the mirror, giving himself subtle smile.
"Good choice." He said, peeking over at me through the reflection. I bit down on my lip, nodding.