Chapter 51: Just Come Home

My heart was pounding in my chest. It felt like my whole body was on fire. He held his stare as he smiled back at me, holding me close. Part of me didn't even want to go back downstairs anymore. 

I had to pull myself away from him.

"I guess we'll see." I said, smirking back at him. I made my way towards the door. "Cause that's boyfriend territory." He didn't hesitate to follow me closely. I turned around, leaning against the door to face him again.

"What do I have to do, Jess?" He sighed, leaning his hands against the door on either side of me, smiling down. "Cause whatever you need me to do.. I'll do it." He stared back with those dazed eyes, making my heart beat faster. "What else do you need in order to be sure about me? Because being with me without.. being with me. It's.. killing me." He said softly, giving me a gentle smile. "I understand you want time to think but.. you and I both know that.. no matter what, we always end up together."

"Jake.." I sighed, reaching up, gently touching his cheek. He gave me a small smile. "We can talk about it tonight, okay?" He bit down on his lip, nodding.
"In here." He said, smirking back at me. My smile grew.
"In here." I agreed, giggling to myself. 
"With you.. out of that dress."
"Jake." I laughed. He flashed me a smile.

"Alright.." He sighed. "Come on, they're waiting for us downstairs, your dad is gonna hate me for keeping you up here so long." He giggled, taking my hand and leading me down the hall.

"I'd really love it if the two of you could talk and get to know each other." I said, swinging our hands as we made our way to the bar. He nodded.
"Me too." He said. "And I'm sure there's so much he can tell me about you growing up." I laughed, holding onto his arm, leaning my head on his shoulder.

As we got closer, I saw my mom standing next to Josh at the bar, ordering drinks. My stomach dropped.
"Did you see them earlier?" I said quietly. I felt Jake nod.
"I did.. but.. I didn't want to say anything." I kept my eyes locked on them.
"What is she doing.." I mumbled, my grip on Jake getting tighter.

"Don't worry about them tonight. It's okay."
"It's not okay." I muttered. "That's my mother. And he knows that. She knows what she's doing."
"I just.. I don't want you getting upset tonight." Jake said softly. "For all you know, he's doing this on purpose cause you've been with me." I sighed, peeking up at him. He was right. I hadn't really spent much time alone during my apparent "alone time." I'm sure Josh noticed.

"Don't let them ruin our night." He said, stopping and turning to face me. "Look, your dads over there by himself. We can sit and talk, just the three of us." I nodded, taking his hand again and following him into the bar.

"Hey Dad." I said, making my way over to his table.
"Well, don't you look great." He said, getting up to greet me again. "Now I feel underdressed."
"Don't worry, we all look underdressed compared to her." Jake laughed, gently placing his hand behind my back. I felt my heart jump as I sat down. He smiled at me, pulling his chair closer to mine.

"I just wanted to get her something nice for tonight." He said, holding his stare on me.
"Oh, so you're dressing up my daughter now?" My dad asked with a smirk. Jake's face dropped as he stared back wide-eyed.
"N-No, I just.. I-" Jake stammered. My dad laughed to himself, taking another sip of his drink.
"I'm kidding, Jake." He said plainly. "Though.. don't think we didn't see you guys down there after the show."

My stomach dropped. They had seen us? Had they all seen us?

"Seemed a little.. too friendly.. to just be friends." He said, giving us a look.
"That's what I said." Jake smirked, peeking over at me. "But for the record, she kissed me first." He giggled to himself. My whole body felt like it was on fire.