Paperbag Writer

'I'm fine really, there's no need for the fuss.' I protested.

Victoria and Katie had quick marched me back to our dorm and told our Dorm Mothers that I was as sick as a dog before. Everyone had practically ordered me to take a shower when we got back as I had pretty much had vomit all down the front of my clothes and somehow I managed to get it in my hair too. Katie very kindly took all my clothes over to the laundry room to wash them for me and Victoria brought me some supplies; namely bottles of water, painkillers and something to settle my stomach. One of our Dorm Mothers Julie even brought me a bucket in case I started up-chucking again. Victoria even helped me dry my hair despite my complaining that I could do it myself.

'Maddie, you look like shit, you're sweating loads and you're all wobbly so no... you need a hand. Besides, you and Katie looked after me last time I was sick.'

Victoria reminded me of that. The last time Victoria was sick she caught a stomach bug and she was rough for most of the week. All she could stomach for a few days after eating nothing was; plain white toast with nothing on it, the occasional bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and semi flat Pepsi that we kept her in good supply of. The semi flat pop thing was our remedy for everything and that was courtesy of my Auntie Morrigan.

'Drink a Powerade or something, then just drink plenty of water and flat pop. And eat whatever you want when you want even it's only toast or blueberry muffins. There's nowt worse then being forced to eat something you really don't want when you're feeling awful.'

We all knew where she was coming from. Earlier I had wanted and ate all of the food but right now, all I had on my mind was cream crackers with just butter on them and a can of Fanta Orange. I'd made it known that cream crackers were my go to poorly food.

Katie had eventually come back to our room and was busy hanging out the washing she had done for me on a small clothes horse we kept behind our door. She placed it in front of the radiator so it would dry quicker then started fussing over me.

'You taken some painkillers?' She asked me.

'Yes.'

'You had something for your stomach?'

'Yes!'

'Okay. Get some sleep. We'll check on you in a bit.'

Wow that was me told. And that I did; I fell asleep pretty quickly. Kate and Victoria kept themselves quiet with reading, or listening to their music through their earphones so as not to disturb me. I slept for around an hour or so before I woke up wanting food again. Victoria asked our Dorm Mothers earlier on for cream crackers and butter which we apparently had in the small kitchen that serviced our dorm building. She had nicely laid a few out on a small plate and buttered them for me. Surprisingly even after only an hours snooze I felt a lot better than I did before. At least I wasn't feeling as violently sick though in saying that only time would tell if I started puking again.

I fell back to sleep after a few crackers and a half pint of water; not caring that there were some crumbs still clinging to my pyjamas. I didn't get my Fanta Orange but I remembered I had some cartons of Ribena hidden somewhere, they would more than suffice. I slept a bit longer this time, maybe two hours before I woke up with my duvet half covering me; I must have kicked it off while I was asleep. It was nearly nine o'clock at night according to my watch and Victoria and Katie were watching something on the TV with the volume turned down a bit so it didn't wake me. It was apparent that Katie had been braiding Victoria's long blonde hair as the back of her head was neatly styled in to two intricate braids and she was now trying to teach Victoria what to down on her own wavy brown hair.

I had to blink my eyes a few times as I was having trouble focusing and colours for some reason had lost their brightness and vividness. Everything had weird dull green tones washed over it. I blinked hard a few more times and rubbed my eyes just to be sure but no, everything still looked weird. I instantly started to panic a bit and felt myself verging on hyperventilating but no sound seemed to be coming out of me, even when I tried calling out for Katie and Victoria. This made me panic even more and any amount of thrashing about didn't do anything either.

I tried to calm down as best as I could by controlling my breathing, closing my eyes and keeping still. I tried doing what my Auntie M told be when I get worked up and counted my breaths; three seconds in and 3 seconds out. After a good few deep breaths and letting my body go limp, the panicked feeling I had subsided. I gradually opened my eyes to find that the green hue was still there, but for some reason I could see shapes floating through the air. They moved about the space as if they were people going about their business. I tried my best to concentrate on the figures moving about and sure enough, I could see the occasional recognisable body part; arms reaching out to pick something up, feet moving across the floor.

Then I woke up. For real.

'Hey Maddie, how you feeling?'

Katie was hovering over me in her uniform, munching away on a piece of toast. I moved my eyes about feeling a bit confused as I'm pretty sure I'd just seen Katie watching TV with Victoria.

'Wait... what?' I mumbled sluggishly and attempted to sit up but Katie just shoved me back down with her free hand.

'No no, June and Julie said no school for you today.'

'But I feel better.' I protested groggily. I was feeling better for sure but damn I was so tired, like jet lag tired.

'Nope.' Victoria had now wandered over to join Katie in telling me off. 'No school, just rest. And food.'

Victoria handed me a small plate with a few triangles of buttered toast piled up on it. I slowly up-righted myself, bunching my pillows behind me for support, tucking in to the toast as quickly as possible before it started going cold.

'Oh wait it's Friday isn't it? Ugh I better get myself sorted my Auntie M will be here later.' I mumbled through a mouthful of toast.

Katie and Victoria looked at each other before they looked back at me.

'Dude she's coming on Saturday, tomorrow.' Katie told me. 'You told us she was coming for you Saturday morning for your girly weekend we had this conversation yesterday.'

I can't even remember if I actually told them or not but I was sure Auntie Morrigan was coming today. I was getting confused again and it was starting to make my head hurt; I swear my dreams, daydreams and reality were all getting mushed up and I could barely tell what was real any more. I shook it off, I was too tired to try and comprehend it right now.

'Yeah you're definitely stopping in bed today.' Victoria said. 'We're going to class now, text us if you need anything okay?'

I smiled slightly and waved as Katie and Victoria left the room. I shoved the plate on my bedside table, took a huge drink of water from the half empty pint glass I drank from last night. Bundling my duvet up around me I flipped over on to my side and went back to sleep.