Needle in a Haystack

This was probably one of the rare mornings that I woke relatively early but naturally. I was quite cosy and comfortable in my bed, with Domino still asleep at the bottom keeping my feet warm. There was something else beside me keeping me warm. Duncan was still fast asleep, clinging on to me and nuzzling in to my hair; a little bit too close to my neck but I trusted Duncan not to sleep bite me or something. I wasn't sure what woke me up, but there was a weird background noise coming from the other end of the hallway that seemed to permeate through the gaps in the doors.

'Uhm, morning Maddie.' I heard Duncan mumble as he squeezed my waist a little, lifting his head up seeming a tad confused. I had to admit, he looked adorable when he just woke. His hair was all over the place, sticking out on all angles and his eyes were still heavy. Vampires weren't really morning creatures of course, but Duncan always had a hard time waking up early. He did love his sleep that's for sure.

I looked at Duncan as he squinted, as if he was trying to concentrate on listening to something; probably whatever that odd noise was I could just about hear.

'Oh God your Aunt and Arne are at it again.' He grumbled as he buried his face in to his pillow.

'Ow ew.' I instinctively retorted. 'Are they always that loud that even I can just about hear them?'

'Sometimes they're even louder.'

'O...kay then.' I didn't know what to say to that. My mind was on other things at the moment and I didn't really want to think any more, about my Aunt and Arne going to town on each other in the loudest way possible. Well, it must mean that Auntie M is back to normal.

'Right I'm getting up.' I announced as I lurched up to get out of bed.

'Nope. Five more minutes.' Duncan tugged me back down and pulled me closer to him, shoving his face back in to my hair and the base of my neck. I had decided he was the laziest vampire ever. In fact, I didn't even know any humans who napped and slept and loved being tucked up in bed as much as Duncan did. I resigned myself to this extra five minutes in bed.

The five minutes had turned in to an extra half hour, as I had fell back to sleep for a little while. I had stirred as Duncan had finally decided to wake up properly and had sat himself up in bed.

'Morning, for real this time.' He grinned at me.

'Y'know,' I started as I rolled over and propped myself up on my elbow. 'I've never known anyone sleep like you do.'

'I like being in bed, it's my favourite place.' Duncan replied as he flipped over on to his side, cradling his head in his hand and moving some of my hair away from my face with his free one. Never mind moving that one bit of hair, I really needed to run a brush and some straighteners through the now tangled mess on my head, as my braid had come undone at some point when I was sleeping.

Duncan and I were still in pretty close proximity, so of course we started to drift toward each other. For a good morning kiss of course. Our lips had just barely grazed together when my Aunt rudely interrupted via the good old brain phone.

'Morning kiddo, breakfast is ready in ten!'

'Oh Jesus Christ that woman.' I said as I scrunched my eyes together and pinched the bridge of my nose. 'Breakfast is nearly ready.' I rolled back over to get out of bed but Duncan just pulled me back again and stole a kiss. He was being awfully cute today. I kissed him back a few times before he finally let me go with a grin. I ran in to the bathroom, did what I needed to do and threw some clothes on, not forgetting to put a little bit of make up on to make myself look a little more human. I could have used glamour to sort my face out, but I was reserving that for my hair. Or maybe not, I did have a spare five minutes.