||Chapter 4||

-Author's POV-

The Harris family sits at the dinner table, each holding an iPhone or iPad in their hand. Cutlery clinks, but no conversation is conversed between them. Madison averts her eyes from the lit screen for a second, reaching out she jabs a chicken and places it into her plate, continuing her scroll through social media.

She's engrossed with her timeline filling with new followers and tweets, she'd made it far in the competition and she's slowly creating her own fanbase.

"Reached five thousand followers today" She mumbles with her mouthful.

"That's nice dear" Clara replies, eating her food with elegance.

"Dad, did you hear that?" She asks Connor, who'd yet to look away from his tablet. He nods with a smile, but keeps his eyes locked with the email he'd been reading intensely.

"Well I think it's cool" Madison murmurs and sighs. It was always a one word conversation when it came to dinner, or any other sit down with her family, she wasn't sure if she liked the silence all too much.

"What happens next in this competition?" The question is taken by surprise, she instantly locks her phone and sets it down. Ready to finally have a chat, well, any conversation would be good right now. Connor waits for his daughters reply, still not meeting her green eyes.

"Well," She begins with a smile "We go to the judges houses, it's a secret place-"

"I'm sure they'll need to tell you where you's are going sweetheart, how are you supposed to know what to pack?" He asks with a chuckle, typing up the rest of his email.

"They don't-"

"Madison, are you sure you were listening to the producers when they said the rules?" Clara asks with a light laugh. The teens face crumbles with sadness; her parents were mocking her inability to pay attention, even when it came to a future she'd hoped success in.

"Of course I was-"

"I think you should give them a call back tomorrow-"

"I leave tomorrow dad, I've already told you.. Aren't you's going to drop me off?" She gulps, the lump slowly forming and tightening in her throat. Mentally, she pleads herself not to well up with tears.

"Jeffry will be taking you, we can say our goodbyes tonight, I have an early meeting, and so does your Mum." She nods with a teary smile, and it goes unnoticed by the parents still focused on the screens held in their hands.

"Yeah," She clears her throat "That's fine.. Erm.. Well, I'll go up to my room now. I've got loads of packing to do" Quickly, Madison stands to her feet and darts out of the large dinning room and rushes up the grand staircase. The tears unknowingly streak down her flushed cheeks. The uninterested energy only brought her high down, and suddenly, she didn't want to follow this unrealistic dream.

The distraught teen falls onto her plush bed, releasing a low whimper. She was never one to cry, bottling and sealing her emotions was something she was an expert at. It's gotten too much, her parents were uninterested in this childish dream; their dream was for her to follow in the families footsteps. The family business was bound for success, where as Madison's longing was a gamble and waste of time.

A knock to the bedroom door jolts her upright.

"Come in" She calls, quickly wiping her tears away.

Clara walks in with a pouting smile.

"Just coming in to see if you need any help with your packing?" She smiles at the kind gesture.

"I've finished the last of them, I'm done.. I hope it's somewhere sunny. I've got all my summer things in there." She points to her packed case.