||Chapter 19||

-Author's POV-

~~~

"Catch up slowpoke!" Christopher calls out, Madison giggles keeping up with his rushed steps.

"Slow down and I might!" The teen speaks breathlessly. "Wait up!" Christopher stops in his tracks, and stretches out his hand; she takes it instantly.

"Come one," He assists her up the hill. "Be careful" She groans with each step, the muddy hill makes their feet unsteady.

"Where.. Where are we even going?" She breathes heavily.

"You're the one who said you wanted to watch the bloody stars-"

"Oh so this is my doing?" Her mouth opens in mock offense.

"Kind of-"

"Swear I'll kick you right now!" He laughs and shakes his head, still assisting her up the hill.

"We're almost there, quit your whining will you?"

"Fine." She huffs, they make it to the top with a little effort. The dark night making it difficult to see ahead; the stars and moon guide them. Dreams craft in their world as they near their newfound spot.

"Here we are" Chris helps the teen down first before taking a seat beside her.

They sigh.

"Lie back" She does as she's told, they lie beneath the stars absorbing the beautiful world above them.

"Did you bring me out here because of today?" She asks, her voice a low whisper. The only sounds to be heard are the soft melodies being created by crickets.

"Thought you'd want someone to talk to.." He trails off.

"Just hate my birthday is all," She shrugs.

"You shouldn't let the past-"

"You wouldn't understand Chris.. Mum and Dad love you. They adopted me when I was.. What? Five?" She shrugs again and releases yet another sigh.

"I love them you know.. They know I love them-"

"So why are you constantly trying to test it?"

"Can't help it" Tears brim her green eyes, the emotions from today have caught up to her. She always found comfort talking to her brother, even if he wasn't blood related, he was her soldier. He was the man that protected her from harms way.

"You need to fight it," He speaks in a dominant tone, sending words of encouragement right into her soul.

"I know I'm older than you-"

"You're ancient compared to me." They laugh.

"Still older than you, so I better get some respect." She nods and turns to him, giving him a playful punch to the shoulder.

"When do you have to go back?" She asks, her voice suddenly getting lower with sadness.

"I have a whole month here remember?" Madison nods, a stubborn tear trickles down her cheek.

"Do you have to go?" She whispers, he sits up and takes his sister into his arms.

"I've got to protect you somehow-"

"Going to the army isn't protecting me Chris" She hiccups and buries her face into his arms.

"I'm protecting my country-"