9. | periodic table of elements.

Livvy Grant

It's been three days since then, three. Three days since school started, three days since I and Marcus went to Alma's, and three days since he left in such a hurry.

I never figured out why he left so frantically. He left as if the cops were on the back of his heels and he has to go undercover. I still see him at school and he's in my French class, but there's always this awkward silence between the two of us. Neither of us makes conversation and neither of us offers.

I tried asking him about it but he just said he was having and I quote, "A bad day,".

He really thinks I'm quite stupid. I can read people like a book, mind-reading without mind-reading. He was just fine up until I told him my favorite song, then whatever happened to us 'being friends' got sucked away. Like taking candy from a baby.

I saw him bump into that guy-well not necessarily handsome bumping into the guy. The guy bumped into him with his shoulder and I can tell by the reaction Marcus had he definitely said something to send shivers down his spine.

Someone clicking their pen has brought me out of my mid-morning daze and back to the task at hand- relearning the periodic table of elements, spectacular, just spectacular. Were my 'parents' the only people who had a periodic table of elements poster which was hung in my room? Yeah, I'm going to say that no one in this room had their parents do that.

My 'parents' wanted me to become very smart and go to college and become a doctor or maybe a lawyer, not a murder that's for sure but you know you can't have everything in life.

I start tapping my foot on the ground trying to kill time while Mr. Bradley goes on and on about how the elements are separate. I sit in the back row of the classroom with no one on my left side and to my right there are cabinets.

Two seats down from me sits a girl- a very pretty one. She has this chocolate brown hair with light blonde highlights in it, her skin is tanned and she has four piercings on each ear which suit her perfectly. She's wearing this baby blue thick-strap-tank-top crop top, with these light-washed jeans. I love her outfit and I make a mental note to compliment it before we leave class.

I look at the clock to see how long we have before lunch, only to find we still have fifteen minutes.

I swear to god this teacher sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown.

Everything he's saying is going through one ear and out the other. Then all my hearing is: "Mwah wah wah wah wah,".

" 'Au' stands for wah wah wah, 'H' stands for wah wah wah," I'm taking notes while he's writing on the board, but what I'm hearing isn't matching up to what he's saying.

"Ah Olivia," I look up at the sound of my name. "Would you like to tell me what 'Na' stands for on the table?" Mr. Bradley crosses his arms and looks and me with his head tilted a tiny bit.

"Call me Livvy, and do I have a choice," I ask looking up from my notes once again.

"No Olivia, you don't really have a choice unless you want to fail my class," He says shifting from foot to foot in his stance.

"Livvy," I deadpan. "And the answer is sodium,"

Some people turn in their seats to look at me, I don't care at this point I just want this class to be over with.

"Okay Olivia I don't need attitude to be shown in my class," He says turning his head to look at the clock. "We have seven minutes I'm going to name seven elements and you need to tell me their names, okay?"