35. | coffee break festival.

Marcus Hudson

*A/N: extra trigger warning for child abuse, anxiety, and talk about depression, and self harm for the FULL CHAPTER*

~

"You say you didn't take it, yet I'm still missing fifty-five dollars!" Charles say slamming his wallet down on the counter.

He's mad at me because he think I stole from his wallet. I didn't though.

I asked for money the other day so I could go get ice cream with Caleb, and he said no. He now thinks I stole his money for that reason, but in reality Caleb's mom payed for it.

"I didn't take it!" I say my voice raising. "Caleb's mom payed for it!"

I stand up my hands on the counter furious. Charles is six foot-two and my thirteen year old five-five self thinks that standing up is going to intimidate him.

"Oh so money just vanishes into thin air?!" He screams and I flinch back.

"I don't know where the fuck your money went, but I didn't fucking take it!" I scream and I watch my mom slowly come down the steps out of the corner of my eye.

"You watch your mouth young man," Charles says pointing a finger at me.

"I'm not going to watch my mouth when you're accusing me of something I didn't even do!" I say my eyes coating in tears.

I hate crying, but I can't help it.

I've always cried when people scream at me, ever since I was a little kid. At first, my mom would protect me from all the things that made me cry, but now she doesn't care that her son of a bitch husband yells at me.

He takes all his shit out on me, even if he knows I didn't do something.

"Money doesn't vanish into thin air, your mother would never do something like that because she respects me, I would never steal my own money, so that leaves you," He speaks walking slowly around the counter towards me.

"But I didn't take it!" I say my voice breaking.

"You're seriously trying not to cry right now? God when are you ever going to be a man?!" Charles says rolling his eyes.

I don't say anything but turn my head when my mom comes down the steps.

"Mom! Tell him! I didn't take his money!" I say looking at her somewhat panicked.

She looks at me with a blank look on her face. "Honey, I don't know if you took the money or not,"

My jaw drops the tiniest bit. We were out shopping all day together me and her. The only time I was home was when I was asleep and before I went to go get ice cream.

"But-but I was with you the entire day! How could I have stole it?" My voice is watery now. Why is she lying?

She shrugs and goes to stand by the couch in the living room.

"See! You're lying! Your mother would never lie to us!" Charles say standing only two feet away from me.

"But I'm not," I choke out. Please don't let me cry please don't let me cry.