46. | silver butterfly with blue jewels.

Marcus Hudson

Nothing happened that night after Rookie and I got drunk if you're wondering.

I woke up, said thank you for the stay, and made up a lie about homework I had to do.

So yeah nothing happened that night, and nothing happened that morning, and then nothing happened for a week.

So now it's suddenly two days before Christmas. Please don't ask me how that happened because I don't know.

"Red or green," Brooks asks as I suddenly stop zoning out.

"Both?" I say and he nods throwing both tubes of wrapping paper into the cart.

We've been out walking around stores trying to find presents, wrapping paper, and stuff to make food all before the snow hits tomorrow. We're at our last store now and I can tell we are both ready to go home.

"Alright, I think it's time to check out," Brooks says as he looks into the cart. I nod and we make our way to the checkout counter.

As we walk by I happen to notice the jewelry section. "Hey I know I said we should go, but can we check out jewelry real quick, I need to get one more present,"

He nods and I walk into the section and glance around at all the bracelets and watches. I think about looking at them but then decide not to because I think Rookie wouldn't wear them.

Yes, the present is for a rookie. I've been having trouble finding the perfect thing for her, nothing seems like something that's good enough for her.

I make my way through the section and then find all the necklaces and chains. I walk through the section and then find this gorgeous butterfly necklace.

It's a silver necklace with a silver butterfly pendant with blue jewels on its wings. I take back saying I couldn't find the perfect gift, I think I found it.

I pick it up and examine it more closely. I brush my fingers on top of the pendant and smile. It's perfect.

"Oh that's pretty," Brooks says coming up behind me.

"Isn't it?" I say handing the box to him.

He nods and flips the box over and his eyes instantly drop. "Marcus,"

"What?" I ask suddenly concerned that it's not for sale or broken.

"It's two-hundred dollars," He says gaping at the price.

"Oh," I say. "That's okay, I'll pay for it separately," I say and he looks at me in shock.

"Who's the necklace for?" B questions.

"A friend," I say trying to get the box back before he moves his hand back.

"Nadi?" He asks.

"No," I say with a 'what?' face.

"Belle?" He asks questioning me again.

"No Brooks," I say reaching out for the necklace again.

"Livvy?" He asks and I look at him trying to hide the surprise on my face.