19. | pineapple slushies.

Brooks Mason

"Marcus Hudson! I know you did not just say that," London yells at Mark while he's trying to get a cherry Slurpee.

"I'm sorry but pineapple whip Slurpees suck," He whispers the last part so that the person working doesn't hear.

"I second that," Livvy agrees.

"Via!" London looks at her in pure hurt while she pours a pineapple whip into her Slurpee cup.

"Okay, but can we agree that the best combo is cherry and blue raspberry?" I ask pouting Coca-Cola in mine.

"Oh a hundred percent," Livvys says and Marcus nods his head.

"If that's the best, then why are you doing half cherry half cola?" London asks me picking up a straw.

"Because I have an obsession with cherry cola,"

That's only because it was Austin's favorite and his birthday is tomorrow. You miss him.

Of course, I do, he was my best friend.

Just call him.

No.

"Brooks," Livvy taps my shoulder and I quickly grab a straw collecting my thoughts. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I scratch the back of my neck. "Actually killer, can I ask you something,"

I scan the store and see London and Marcus trying to pick a few candy bars.

"What do you do at the times where you randomly remember your family because of the stupidest shit," I say quietly but loud enough so she can hear.

She pops the lid on her cup and thinks.

"Is it like happy thoughts or...?" She asks unwrapping a straw.

"Like happy moments and then all of the sudden you feel like shit because you only wanted to make them proud," I sigh stirring the Slurpee.

"Well I can't really answer it because the only happy moments I had of my family is when I was four," She smiles slightly.

"What do you mean?" I ask taking a sip.

"They died when I was little, I got adopted when I was twelve into a shitty ass family," She says quickly then takes a sip.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry," I say taking in all that she just said.

"Thanks," She replies. "But yeah, I think you have to keep going, you know this something that you intend to do, you can't stop at 'what if's',"

"Yeah, you're right," I nod. "It's not like my parents were ever proud of me anyway,"

"Same, we'll like for my adoptive parents," She lets a small laugh fall.

I smile at her. "My brother was my best friend and I always told him that he was my role model even if I was two years older,"

"That's sweet," She says as we walk along the back of the store.