39. | the book life.

Marcus Hudson

"Put on a shirt damnit," Rookie says sitting down at the counter with a bowl of cereal.

"Why?" I taunt as the corners of my lips start to turn up. "Do I distract you?"

She sticks her tongue out at me and goes back to scrolling on her phone.

I rummage through the cupboards and find B's stash of cookies, I take a handful and start eating them.

"Cookies, such a healthy breakfast option," She nods.

"It's my birthday, let me be on a sugar high," I say and she looks down at her cereal concerned.

"When you crash off all that sugar, don't say I didn't tell you so," She says.

"So what's the plan for the day?" I ask after swallowing my last cookie.

"Like I'm going to tell you," She scoffs.

"You should tell me," I say tilting my head.

"I shouldn't though," She taunts tilting her head.

"Pretty please?" I ask making puppy eyes.

"Ask B," She says looking back down at her phone.

"But he won't tell me shit," I say standing up straight.

"Exactly," She snaps and points at me.

"When can I go home?" I ask wanting to get home to Ada.

I miss her.

Fucking obsessed.

Shut up.

"At six," Rookie says scrolling while my mouth drops.

"Six?!" I say shocked. "That's like seven hours from now,"

"Your cat will be fine Marcus, plus we have shooting range to get to," She says putting her bowl in the sink.

"I doubt that," I mumble. "Fine, we have to do something productive if we're not at school,"

"Thank you," She says looking at me. "Now, put a shirt on and get ready, we're leaving at twelve,"

"Yes ma'am," I say and she rolls her eyes.

I start walking to the room before I do a one-eighty quickly. "I don't have clothes,"

"Backpack," She replies rinsing the dishes and putting them into the dishwasher.

I scan the living room to find a decent sized backpack in the corner by the door. I walk over and pick it up. I unzip the biggest pocket and find a pair of light blue jeans and a white Adidas shirt.

"How the?" I start before Rookie finishes for me.

"Brooks," She replies drying her hands.

"Okay so I'm assuming he's at my apartment right now, eating MY food," I say exaggerating the 'my'.

"That could be true," She nods her head. "But, it also could not be true,"

"Rookieee," I say throwing the shirt over my head.

"Quit your wining, and go change somewhere else," She says looking at me in disgust.

I stick my tongue out at her and she sticks her's back at me. I walk into my room and strip out of my sweats and put the jeans.

I walk back out into the hallway and into the bathroom. I shake my hair out so it looks messy, just the way I like it.

I walk out and immediately hit something, something shorter then me.