40. | thanks-a fucking-giving.

Brooks Mason

"My question is why would she even try talking you out of it," I ask and killer smacks her palm to her forehead.

"Brooks Christian Mason," She grumbles.

"HAH! That's fifteen bucks Grace!" Nick says holding the cup holder as we walk to the car.

"Y'all bet on me!" I say offended.

"It's been a week since then and you still ask the question," She says shaking her head pulling a ten and a five out of her wallet.

It's been a week since Marcus's party and things have been going smoothly considering the fact that the two lovebirds decided to leave Addi's body in the station.

With no leads and no one to blame, the police and investigators dropped the case. As far as I know, Addi's parents were furious, they screamed, they yelled. Her uncle didn't do shit. He paid for the memorial and talked about how she was a great niece on TV, but that was about it.

Marcus and Livvs didn't tell us about the whole 'leaving the body there' they just let us figure out when a special news report came on. I just remember the shock we were all in. While Marcus and Livvy just smirked at the TV, proud of themselves.

Currently it's November 24th, one of the final days of November. Which also so happens to Thanksgiving Day. One day I used to dread every single year.

"Brooks!" Nick calls out as I push the shopping into the section thing. "You ready?"

"Yeah!" I call back trying to shake the thoughts out of my head and refocus on the present.

Present Brooks, Focus B, we're not going backwards. We're past that.

I hop in shotgun of Nick's Benz and turn on the radio and 'all the good girls go to hell' by Billie Eilish starts playing. And we all sit silently humming along occasionally.

Out of nowhere my thoughts suddenly start creeping into my mind. I take a deep breath and just try to imagine they're not there but your past is an impossible thing to escape.

And the only way I can escape it, is pretend.

"Brook Chris!" My mom yells at me from downstairs. I roll my eyes and walk down stairs.

I'm so sick of her shit. She's been screaming at me nonstop since this morning to do everything for Thanksgiving while Austin just gets to sit around and watch movies all day.

"Why can't Austin do anything?!" I ask my annoyance level rising and the frustration being able to be heard in my voice.

"Because you're the older brother, god Brooks! You say that you want him to do this, you want him to do that! But once in your life do you get up and work? Do you get up and do this and do that?" She says and her words slowly start to rip me into shreds.

"But-" I say before she cuts me off.

"If you don't get up right now I will tell your dad!" She says her voice raising an octave higher.

"I'm coming I'm coming," I saw walking down the rest of the stairs my head hung low.

I walk into the main rooms and immediately get hit with the smell of chicken, turkey and even some pie.