28. | murder on the menu.

Marcus Hudson

"C'mon Nick!" I call out through my hands. "You got this!"

I watch as Nick runs down the field balancing the ball in the stick pocket as he runs down to pass it to Jacob.

Jacob swiftly catches it before trying to get around some defenders. He's blocked off.

"Shit," Coach mutters under his breath with his hands crossed over his chest.

It's the last game of the season and the pressure is high. If we win this game, our name will be known in a fifty-mile district range.

Even though it doesn't sound much, it's a huge deal.

Our final competitors are Bridgestone High. They're the preppy school, good lunches, rich kids. Basically a boarding school but not far away.

They're also known for their sports, especially lacrosse. Apparently, N.H.H.S. has never made it this far, this is the first year the boys beat Chasten.

Jacob's in trouble now he's surrounded front to back, three boys around him. Out of the corner of my eye I watch Z get behind the defenders without them noticing.

Thank the heavens for Z.

Jacob spots him and then moves the stick (in the motion you would when chopping trees) and the ball catches right into Z's stick which he then scores into the goal.

Cheers erupt from our side of the stands and coach turns to high-five me. Ten seconds left.

I turn my head into the bleachers and look for the girls. I find them only a few seconds later sort of at the bottom by our bench.

I walk over to them as the team gets water and sees who's going to take the face-off.

"Hey," I say walking over to them.

"Hey, handsome," Rookie's eyes glance at me and then back at the field before scribbling something down in a notebook.

"Hi Marcus," Mon rolls her eyes at rookie before looking at me. "Everything going good on your end?"

"Very," I say before turning my head to the benches only to be confused. "Looks like Jacob is taking the face-off,"

Rookie's head pops up with a face of confusion. "I thought he doesn't do face off's?"

"He doesn't," I trail. "B's supposed to,"

Shit. "I gotta get back, I'll see you later though right?" They all give me a nod before I jog over to the team.

"Wait you don't do face-offs?" I ask Jacob when I get back over there.

"I don't," He says tightening his gloves. "But we don't know where the hell Brooks went,"

"What? What do you mean you don't know where the hell he went? He was sitting right there three minutes ago," I start talking fast.

Marcus. Breathe.

He can't just disappear.

"Okay fine, I'll check the locker rooms you guys-"

"FUCK!" A scream emerges on our left side close to the gate on our way out of here.

Without thinking twice I bolt over to the gate to see what it was. I turn the corner of the bleachers to my face going to a look of shock.

Brooks is trying to make it off the ground and from what I can tell he's been beaten up. Blood is seeking through his jersey and it's all over his face. His nose and eyes are shades of blue and purple, and there are cuts on his legs.