CHAPTER 31

As night fell, Wang Yu Luo started to get busy. The sound of classical instruments never ceased. It was a lively scene full of music and dance. However, the noise from the front courtyard didn't disrupt the peace of the back courtyard. It was like the middle courtyard screened out the noise. It preserved the night's tranquility in the back courtyard.

Yan Hui and Tian Yao were given a small building in the back courtyard. Looking through the window, Yan Hui could see swaying silhouettes in Wang Yu Luo. She gobbled down some food: "When we're done eating, we're going to visit Wang Yu Luo."

Tian Yao raised an eyebrow. He didn't say anything but gave Yan Hui a subtle look.

Yan Hui turned her head back. Upon seeing his look, she put her bowl down: "What's with the look? What do you think I'm going to do? It's a gathering place for the officials and nobles in Yong Zhou City. It has alcohol and beauties. When they get all muddled from the drinks and scenery, maybe we'll be able to snoop out some information."

Tian Yao agreed. AFter all, this place was originally already a place to nose around for information. He looked at Yan Hui. His gaze shifted a little: "Didn't you tell your friend you won't investigate this matter?"

"When did I say that? I only told Xian Ge she didn't have to look into it. I didn't say I wouldn't....We need to go before those people get black-out drunk." Yan Hui shoveled two mouthful of food and gulped them down without chewing. Then, without caring if Tian Yao had eaten his fill yet, she hurriedly pushed him out of the room. "I'm going to change. Then we can go."

Tian Yao didn't even get a chance to put down his bowl and chopsticks before the door was shut in his face. He already got used to Yan Hui's impulsive and rash behavior. He wasn't the slightest bit angry. Tian Yao just looked down at his bowl of food and stood a little off to the side to finish it.

When he was thinking about returning the empty bowl to the kitchen, Yan Hui pulled open the door: "How do you do a man's hairstyle? Help me tie it."

Yan Hui was wearing an indigo changshan (a traditional Manchu dress or robe, long jacket or tunic worn by men). It looked like she had bound her chest because it was flatter than usual. She was brushing her hair with a comb, but she just couldn't get the bun right. Yan Hui frowned and tried a few more times before letting go of her hair: "I can't do it. You comb it for me."

Yan Hui walked into the room.

Tian Yao stood there and stared, but in the end, he could only follow her in.

Yan Hui sat down in front of the dressing table. She brushed her hair onto the top of her head and then passed the comb to Tian Yao: "Hurry up."

Tian Yao placed his bowl down on the table and then stood behind Yan Hui. He subconsciously started to reach for the comb, but when he saw their reflection in the mirror, his hand suddenly stopped: "Brushing someone's hair is too intimate. It's something a wife, husband, or parent would do......"

"You've already bitten and laid on me. How would simply brushing my hair create any sparks between us?" Yan Hui rolled her eyes, cutting off Tian Yao's words: "Now you care about brushing hair? Don't worry, it's impossible for something happen between us."

Tian Yao mulled over it.

True enough.

He took the comb from Yan Hui and gathered her hair without hesitation.

The two of them had an unusual relationship; each had their own plans. The current Yan Hui was completely immune to romance. For Tian Yao, he couldn't run away from it fast enough. It was exactly as Yan Hui had just said.