2. Meet Aaron

Aaron's POV

"Ron, we're almost there." father told me as we drove past the miles of woods. We were approaching our new home. I was ansty to get off since my legs needed stretching.

OKAY. Before you ask, no I am not moving because I killed someone in my old city and have to move to get away from everyone. I DID NOT light my school on fire. I DID NOT rob a bank. I DID NOT join the mafia and then run away. I am simply moving because my father wanted to escape a large city and move up north.

I'm kinda all for it. I hated living in New York City because it was way too loud and smelly. So far, this town seems nice. I saw pictures of it and it looks so cute. It was like your basic vintage Americana town. A theater, diners, classic American high school. It's very, American.

"Ron-Bud, we're here." mother said just as I started falling asleep. I snapped awake and looked out my right window. From the highway, I could see the city. It was beautiful. A lot of the houses were large and coniferous trees littered the town. It was fairly dark since it was in the wee hours of the morning. The streetlights and the overpeaking sun gave enough illumination to see the town. I can only imagine how it looks when it's snowy.

The city was surrounded by large mountains, giving it a sense of loss in time. It's its own universe here. Anything that happens here only happens here. And that sounds amazing.

The drive to our house was about 15 minutes once we exited the highway and the drive around was relaxing. I saw a few places that I want to visit when the time comes. I caught a glimpse of the high school I'll be attending. I hope I make friends. I miss my friends. I almost didn't want to move because of them but it's life. I hope to have a fun year.

I hope to meet someone. Hint at the someone.

We pulled up to the place that I would be calling home for the next year. It was a standard colonial house. It had three floors with the top being a single room. There was a nice oak tree in the front of the yard that had wilting leaves colored red, orange, and yellow. It's gonna be hell to clean those leaves up.

I was caught staring at the house and saw my parents had already exited the car and were looking at the surrounding area. The sun was already up and was shining. I texted my friends letting them know that I made it 'home'. They wished me luck and I exited the car to be met with the September morning cold.

"It's nice, huh?" my mother told my dad. He nodded and looked up at the vines crawling up the side of the house that had blooming pomegranate buds. The front door was unlocked and my mother entered. My dad went to bring the car into the driveway to leave room for the moving truck.

"Ron, go inside and choose which room you want." screamed my mother from inside the house. I left from the front garden and went inside.

The inside of the house was a bit empty. I said 'hello' and heard my voice echoing through the empty walls. Upon entering you're met with the living room which leads into the dining room in the front and a family room to the right. There was a set of stairs near the top right wall and a cupboard underneath the stairs.

The second floor had about two rooms and two bathrooms. And another set of stairs at the end of the hall. The stair led into the top floor. My room.

I entered the empty room and was amazed by the spacious room. It was the size of a normal room but on the left side of the room was a single floor to ceiling window. The window alone let enough light to illuminate the entire room.

I signed, knowing that this is the room I chose. I looked outside the window and was met with the sight of another room. It was right across from mines by only a few meters. It's as if our windows wanted to kiss, that's how close they are.

The said room across from mine was furnished to an amount that it looked like someone had lived in it for several years. Maybe even to an amount of their whole life. Their room was covered in posters but it was too far to see. I could make out a desk, closet, and a door that led to most likely the hallway.

I began to imagine what the layout of my room would look like. I could add a bed on the right side of the window, my desk on the left. Some weights in that corner. A couch there. A gumball machine! A fish tank! Fairy lights!

"AARON! COME MEET THE NEIGHBORS!" my mom shook me out of my thoughts. I went downstairs in heavy footsteps to make my entrance known. I've learned to walk with hard footsteps because one time I walked in on my mom and dad... yeah. So now I make sure people can tell when I'm coming.

I reached the bottom and saw two adults talking to my mom. They stopped and my mom motioned for me to greet them.

"Aaron, meet the James'. They live right next door and will be helping us unpack." I turned to meet the pair and smiled at them. They gave me happy smiles. I was taller than them so they had to look up a bit. The James and my mom went outside to discuss and help. My dad turned to me and whispered something that made my day.

"They brought brownies. They're on the counter." My smile grew and I turned to eat them brownies. I devoured them in a matter of a few seconds.

Outside was my dad and Mrs. James unpacking some boxes. The moving truck was opened and a few workers were pulling the boxes on the driveway stacking them up. I felt as if the boxes would collapse any second.

"If you want, I could give you advice on how to keep the calla lilies pristine." Mr. James explained to my very intrigued mom. I looked at Mr. James' yard and saw an abundance of flowers that looked like they had been cared for by the best professional.

"Oh Petey, you're too kind." My mother laughed and they continued talking. I went to one of the boxes and opened it. I immediately saw a picture of me and my friend Roy. We were at the beach that day. It was the day I told him I was moving.

"C'mon Ron! The water's nice!" Roy yelled from the ocean. He bobbed up and down and his smile is something I'll miss.

"Actually, I need to tell you something important Rock." I called him 'Rock' since it was a nickname I gave him when I first met him. He got out of the water and walked towards me.

"What's up?" He smiled at me. Oh how I'll miss that smile. Our friendship was platonic but if we wanted we could've dated. I began to tear up before I could even say anything.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He hugged me as I cried into his shoulder. His fingers ran along my bare back. I cried until I separated away from him and stared into his brown hazel eyes.

"I'm moving Roy." I said sternly and he looked at me as his eyes began to tear. We stayed in silence for a few seconds until he spoke.

"How long until you leave?"

"A month."

"It's our final year. We promised we were gonna go to prom together. We were gonna graduate together. We were gonna drink for the first time together. We- we were gonna do THIS together." He sobbed and I also began to sob. He hugged and cried unto me and I held him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen. Even though I'm moving, I'll always remember you. We have a month to create new memories. We could still drink together. That's one thing we can do. But you'll always have a place with me." We sniffed and cried. The mood was still gloomy but my words brought a sense of happiness. Hope. Joy.

"Let's do it together one step at a time." Roy said and we jumped into the ocean as we splashed each other, knowing what was to come.

I had begun to sob and my mother's voice broke me out of my daze. I looked at her and she along with my dad and Mrs. James were looking at me.

"What's wrong dear?"

"I just- I'm gonna miss Roy." I said.

"I know, baby. But you'll see him one day again. You two were so close you're bound to cross paths again. I know it." She put a comforting hand on my shoulder and I nodded in approval as I wiped my eyes from the tears.

I miss you, Rock.