24. Time To Ask

Aaron’s POV

I couldn’t sleep that night. I just couldn’t. I hated the idea that Noah was alone. I thought back to what I had done to cause that reaction. Was it the kiss? I couldn’t. We had kissed for minutes before. Maybe it was me slipping my tongue in his mouth. But the groans that he let out proved that wrong. He was fine until I put my hand on the back of his head. 

That’s when he freaked out.

Note to self: Don’t touch the back of Noah’s head.

I might not know why he freaked out, but at least I’ll make sure I don’t do it again. 

We spent the rest of the weekend talking. But in the back of my mind, I worried. It’s not that I was growing impatient, but I needed to know who Chase was. Noah had said his name when he freaked out. Connecting the dots, I came to the conclusion that this Chase person was responsible for Noah’s disclosed mindset. 

When will I find out about Chase?

Monday was like any other day. I hung out with Noah during lunch and made sure to avoid the back of his head. I would sneak glances at Noah, just to check up on him. 

In the locker room, I met up with Greg.

“Greg. Thanks for the recommendation. Lotta Latte was amazing.” I said.

“Cool man. Anything.” He said. I felt the need to tell him about me and Noah. My interest in Noah. I could trust Greg. He’s one of the few genuine people in this place.

“Can I trust you with something?” I said, taking off my shirt. Greg closed his locker and turned to me.

“Sure man.” He said. I breathed and contemplated the next words I would say.

“Promise not to judge me.” I said.

“Uh-oh. Did you kill someone?”

“No. But umm… I like someone.” I said.

“Cool. Who is she?” He said.

“He.” I corrected him. “ I like Noah.” I said. Greg looked shocked. He stumbled with his words but then cleared his throat.

“That was… unexpected. But I’m cool with it man.” I sighed in relief.

“Oh thank God! I thought you were gonna hate me.” I said.

“Nonsense. You’re my best friend.” He said.

“Well, thanks.” And then it was quiet.

“So Noah, huh?” He nudged my shoulder.

“Yeah. Noah.” I blushed at the thought of him.

“Just be careful around him.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, sounding confused as to why Greg would give me a warning.

“Have you ever noticed that Noah is quiet and sometimes nervous?” Greg asked.

“Yeah.” I recalled our second date.

“Well, three years ago, Noah came to school in a cast on his arm. For a while, everyone assumed that he got injured. But then Mack apparently said that Noah was cutting himself. He told everyone. People thought that Noah had tried to kill himself because his best friend Carter had left that summer.

“The rumor spread. I was worried for Noah. He became a social outcast. No one wanted to be friends with him. I tried speaking to him but he was always quiet. It was later said that he didn’t try to kill himself but got into a car crash. But the rumor was too far gone. 

“So when I said to be careful, I mean that you should make sure he’s safe. I don’t know what happened to him exactly, but whatever it was changed him. It’s nice to see him have someone look out for him. Treat him good.” Greg said while patting my back. 

Hmm. I knew about the rumor. Mack had told me a while ago. But the way Greg explained was in a more unbiased way. Mack simply told me Noah tried to kill himself. Greg however, told me that it was assumed he tried to. 

My mind was occupied too much. During practice, the thought of Noah was distracting. The time went slow. I was determined now.

Determined to finally ask Noah who the fuck Chase was.

I began walking home when the sky began crying. Droplets dropped onto my hair and soon rain fell intermittently. I put my hood on. I decided to text Noah.

Aaron
Hey, where r u? I need to talk to you.

Noah
At the treehouse. 
Why?

Aaron
I’ll explain soon.

I walked faster and entered the woods. The rain was less under the canopy of the trees. I almost slipped a few times due to the mud on the floor. 

I came upon the treehouse. The light on the inside was on. I reached to the bottom of the ladder and kicked off my shoes. I climbed the ladder and entered abruptly. There Noah was on his bed. 

It was time to ask him who Chase was.

------

i went to the dentist today. my dentist was HOT ASS FUCK Y'ALL!! he kept putting his fingers in my mouth it felt sooooo goooooood. it took so much for me not to suck on them. i bit his finger accidentally tho. lol sorry y'all i ain't that innocent...

bye! i love you all!