14. High School Party

Aaron’s POV

The football game is in a few days, and the team has the genius idea of throwing a party beforehand. Instead of practicing, they’d rather get wasted. Cool.

I had sent Noah a text, letting him know that there was gonna be a party and he was invited. After our hang out, we went home. Since then, every night, we both look out the window and say goodnight to each other. 

“AARON! What time you coming?” Greg asked me after football practice. Crestview High was going to be playing against George Washington High. They were another high school located at least thirty minutes outside our town.

“Probably at nine.” I said, taking off my helmet.

“Olivia’s been trying to make a move on you. Why don’t you date her?” Greg asked as I mentally gagged at the thought of dating her.

“Nah, man. She ain’t my type.” I said.

“Well, what is your type?” He asked. I thought about it. Short, nerdy, shy, brown hair, wide eyes. 

“Don’t know.” I shrugged.

The time for the party arrived. It was hosted at a fellow teammate's home, just a few minutes away from the campus. I arrived and was cheered by the student body whose majority was already drunk. 

“AARON! AARON! AARON!” People chant while I make my way into the kitchen. I was greeted by Greg and Mack who gave me a drink. Rather than chug it down, I sipped on it slowly. It took me a good five minutes before I was done with it.

“Aaron. I’m so happy you’re here.” Olivia said, pulling up behind me and sliding her hand on my shoulder.

“Mhm, yeah. ‘Scuse me.” I said, brushing her hand off me. Despite the hundreds of students here, there was only one person I had my eyes on. One person who could make this party much better. Noah.

I avoided Olivia at all costs. I made sure I stayed outside the house, where it was cold and chilly. All I did was wait for Noah. I texted him if he was coming and he said yes. I didn’t want to text him more but felt like that would’ve been too much and I might have weird him out.

“Aaron, babe. C’mon and join me.” Olivia said, drinking from a beer can. 

“No, Olivia. I’m waiting for someone.” I said, walking away. I could hear the sound of her heels clacking.

“Awh, boohoo. Just leave that slut and join me instead.” She said, sounding hypocritical.

I ignored her and made my way into the house. I crouched, entering the pool of kids and lost her in the process. After I knew she was gone, I climbed up the stairs to find an empty room. Many of the rooms were locked, and I had the unfortunate incident of seeing what was behind the unlocked doors.

Finally, I found an empty room, which was dark and looked cozy. I entered it and closed the door behind me. I plopped myself onto the bed and laid there, trying to think of why Noah was always in my head. I don’t think I like him. Sure I like to laugh with him. And walk with him. And say goodnight to him every night. And I want to hang out with him all the time.

But that doesn’t mean anything.

My thoughts were pushed away when I heard the sound of the door opening. I thought it was Noah and perked myself up. But nope, it was Olivia.

Why does this bitch keep following me?

“Olivia?”

“Aaron. There you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.” She said, and I groaned. She closed the door behind her and entered the room. She sat on the bed and I scooted away. 

“Olivia, I don’t want to-” I was cut off when she kissed me. But it wasn’t a good kiss. It felt forced, because it was. It was rough and bitter and disgusting.

“OLIVIA WHAT THE FUCK?!” I said, pushing her away from me. She simply glared at me and grabbed my wrists hard.

“I know you want this! All football players want me. You should be grateful I’m choosing you!” She said, getting closer again.

I didn’t want to push her off because I didn’t want to hurt her. But I kept hoping she would see that I didn’t want to hook up. She got on my lap and began kissing my neck. 

“Olivia-” The door opened suddenly.

“A-Aaron?” A soft voice said. I turned and saw Noah, wide-eyed, looking at me with hurt on his face.

“Scram, fag. Can’t you see we’re busy!” Olivia said, making me glare at her for talking to Noah that way. 

“Aaron?” He said, looking at me as if he wanted me to explain what was going on.

“Noah, I-”

“Kid, leave us already!” Olivia spat at Noah.

Rather than say anything, Noah walked away quickly, not closing the door. I pulled Olivia off me and ran after him.

“AARON!” She screamed but I ignored her. I ran down the stairs but all I saw was dancing people grouped in the living room. I searched around and didn’t see him.

“Greg! Have you seen Noah?” I asked him as he chugged a beer.

“Noah? Shoot! Didn’t know he came to these things. No I haven’t.” He said, which made me push past him.

I exited the house, and screamed his name but was met with no response. I looked around, huffing in frustration as the cold air blew a white cloud out of my mouth.

I wasn’t sure why I was so angry at myself. I wasn’t sure why I allowed myself to let Olivia take it too far. A feeling of guilt took over me, making me worry more about Noah. Was he feeling worse? Did he also blame himself? In the short time I’ve known Noah, he’s a very emotionless kid on the outside but I knew that on the inside he was full of… thoughts. And what those thoughts were puzzled me. What happened to him long ago that made Noah the way he was. 

Were the rumors true. Did he actually try to kill himself? Was he hurting himself?

-------

btw i just want to say that not all women are like olivia. olivia herself is just a bitch. don't worry, there's more characters that are worse in this story (foreshadowing)...

bye! i love you all!