18. Who Is Chase?

Aaron’s POV

Well, we won!

Honestly this victory was an amazing feeling. I finally got to show this town my abilities and for sure no one will doubt me. But what made this victory better was that I got to show Noah. 

During the game, I would glance at Noah. When I made a touchdown, I would look at him to see him smiling too. 

‘This is for you!’ I would mentally say. I even blew him a kiss at the beginning of the game. Secretly, I hoped that he would understand that my kiss was more than platonic. 

“Good job, baby.” Olivia said after I had won the game. I checked my phone and saw a text message from Noah to meet him at the treehouse. My mood was now chipper, and all I wanted to do was go home and meet him.

“Why don’t you come to my house and we can celebrate. We didn’t get to finish last time.” Olivia said in a failing-seductive tone.

“No thanks. I gotta meet with someone.” I said to her while turning away and entering the locker room. I was met with cheers from my teammates who were proud that we won. 

“Great game, boys.” Coach said. He patted my back as I headed to my locker. There I grabbed all my stuff and went to take a shower.

“Good game, man.” Greg said while we were in the shower. I turned to him and chuckled. 

“Thanks. Went better than expected.” I said while cleaning my arms.

“For sure. What d’you plan on doing after?” Greg asked.

“Gonna go hang out with Noah.” I said.

“Noah? He was here?” Greg sounded shocked.

“Yeah. I invited him.”

“And he came?”

“Umm… yeah.” I said.

“Wow. I just… Noah is never the type to show up to these things. You two must be really close, huh?” 

“Yeah. We’re close.”

“That’s great man. Noah is a great guy but he can be really closed off. It’s nice to see him coming out.” Greg finished showering and left while I just stood there thinking about Noah. I am pretty close to him. And I like him, alot! And so I’m wondering if I want to be friends or more with Noah. He’s a great guy, and I would date him. He’s amazing. 

After I was done showering, I exited and changed into some sweats and a tank top. I decided to walk home because the adrenaline in my blood has yet to recede and so I have all this energy. 

I arrived home and entered.

“Great game, Aaron. Way a great start to the season!” Dad said while patting my back. I completely forgot that my parents were at the game. I guess my mind was occupied with… someone else.

“Will you be staying for dinner?” Mom asked me.

“Uh, no. I’m gonna be heading out.” I said. They nodded and I left for my room to drop off my stuff. I walked through the dark forest while shining my flashlight. It was pretty dark and I heard an owl which made my heart beat faster. 

The path, which was eroding after the few years of Noah walking through, was paved and thus I simply had to follow the trail. 

Why the treehouse?

Why stray away from everyone rather than talk to them? And was the rumor that Noah tried to kill himself true? It was a rumor. But sometimes rumors have truths in them. Which worried me. I’ve known Noah for a few weeks and he’s always happy around me. But he’s also quiet, on his own terms. 

I arrived at the treehouse and saw the lights turned on. I smiled but my smile fell when I heard shouting as clear as day.

“FUCK YOU, CHASE! FUCK!” I heard Noah yell. His yelling voice scared me. I have NEVER heard Noah raise his voice. This sounded different. His voice was hurt. It sounded hurt like he had imense pain. 

My instincts kicked in and I quickly climbed the ladder to reach the top. I opened the trapdoor and saw Noah balled on his bed, crying his eyes out.

“Noah?” I said, sounding concerned.

“Hey, Noah! Are you okay?” I said, getting closer to him but moving slowly. I had no idea what he was going through but it obviously wasn’t good.

“A-Aaron?” His voice quivered. It pained me to see him like this. His eyes were red and his pillow was covered in tears. 

“Please don’t look at me right now!” He said. He turned away and looked at the wall so I didn’t see him.

“Noah. Can I hug you?” I said. I sat on his bed, keeping space between us. He nodded yes and I carefully made my way to him. I got close and hugged him from behind.

“It’s okay. You can cry on me.” I said. He sobbed some more and I allowed him to cry on my shirt. Noah was always either happy, bored, or annoyed. So seeing him sad was different. He looked vulnerable. He looked weak. He looked small. And he probably didn’t like feeling like that.

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this.” He said, muffled by my shirt.

“It’s fine. Emotions make you human.” I said. I hoped my words calmed him down.

I now needed to know who Chase was. Noah’s words sounded so negative when mentioning Chase. Could Chase be the reason why Noah is the way he is? What did this Chase character do to Noah? 

I’ll try to ask him soon.

Noah had fallen asleep on my chest. I moved us so we laid on his bed. He still stayed on my chest, breathing softly. Occasionally he would sniffle, and he would snuggle deeper into my chest. Then he would stop, like if my presence made him feel better. I hugged him and kept him close. 

This wasn’t my idea of celebrating but having Noah sleep on me, now that’s gold. And slowly, my eyes began to close. Before they closer, I made sure to get another look at Noah. His sleeping nature was now calm. Spots of tears were on my tank top, but I didn’t mind. Noah could cry on me all he wants, and I’ll be there to catch his tears.

------

aww my baby is crying.

bye! i love you all!