39. I Love You

Noah’s POV

“Anything going on?” Kari asked. I kinda knew that Aaron had asked her to keep an eye on me. I figured I might as well explain the basics of Chase and his threats.

“Yeah, actually. So, I don’t want to explain too much, but I’m in danger.” I said.

“Danger? What’s going on?” She asked. 

“There’s a guy who’s trying to get back at me for something. So now Aaron and I are worried he’ll try to do something.” I explained.

“I’ll make sure to look after you.” She said.

“Aaron said the exact same thing.” I said.

A few minutes into the party, I decided to have one drink.

“Are you sure you should be drinking?” Kari asked.

“It’s just one. Are you gonna drink?” I asked.

“Nah. Gotta look after your dumbass.” She ruffled my hair. I shrugged her off and downed a drink. The alcohol burned my throat.

I waited for Aaron to come back. Nothing. I sort of began to panic. I’m not clingy. It’s just… with everything that’s happened, panic is the only thing I can feel.

“Aaron isn’t back yet.” I began to shake my knee.

“Yeah. I know. Let’s go look for him.” We stood up from the couch. I stumbled a bit when I walked to the kitchen. No sign of Aaron.

“D’you think he went outside?” Kari asked.

“Nah. He would’ve told me. Let’s check in the hallway.” I said. Kari walked, I stumbled, into the house’s hallways. 

Standing in the hallway is a person whom I haven’t seen. Chase. He stood there in the hallway that was dimly lit. He looked like a villain waiting for the hero to come only for them to kill the hero.

“Kari! Let’s go now!” I grabbed her wrist and began to drag her out.

“WAIT!” Chase said. I ignored him and continued to drag us out of there.

“You’re gonna want to see this. It’s about Aaron.” Chase said. Upon hearing about Aaron, I stopped and turned. He had a smile on his face.

“Where is he?” I asked.

“Follow me.” Chase signaled for us to follow him. He walked back into the hallway. I hesitated to follow him.

“I’m coming with!” Kari said. We walked down the hall and Chase stopped in front of the door. Chase stood behind us and opened the door for us.

At that sight, I witnessed Olivia in her bra on top of a shirtless Aaron. 

“Aaron?” I asked but it was more of a whimper. Aaron turned to me and his eyes widened. 

I ran away and let tears slip from my eyes.

“NOAH! WAIT!” I didn’t stop.

“Noah!” Kari said while running behind me. I opened the sliding door to the backyard, thankful it led directly into the forest.

“NOAH!” Kari screamed louder. I stopped, gasping for air. I turned to see Kari, who had a panicked look on her face.

“Noah. Are you okay? Listen. Maybe it’s a misunderstanding. Maybe Aaron didn’t want to-”

“I need to be alone, Kari. Don’t follow me. I just need time to process it.” I said. Kari nodded and I walked into the forest behind the house. Maybe I should listen to Kari. Maybe I am overreacting. Still, I ran to the woods and continued until I leaned the side of a tree.

I heard the crunching of leaves behind me. I turned and the moonlight barely illuminated the figure behind me.

It was Aaron.

“Please hear me out, Noah.” He pleaded. I can see his pained face. I also noticed him stumbling and clutching his stomach. He looked hurt, or by the least, impaired.

“You don’t look so good.” I said. 

“Yeah. I think Olivia drugged me. Listen, she made me drink something and soon afterwards I felt off. She came and took me to a room. She started kissing me but I kept telling her off. Please believe me, Noah!” Aaron pleaded. Tears escaped his eyes. There’s no doubt I believed him.

“I trust you. Sorry. I guess I kinda overreacted. Forgive me.” I said. Aaron stumbled up to me and hugged me.

“I could never stay mad at you. I- I…” He said but hesitated.

“You what?” I asked.

“I love you.” He said. 

“I love you too.” I said. I enveloped him again into a tight hug. Kisses were exchanged..

“I think Olivia and Chase were working together.” I said once we pulled apart.

“What makes you say that?” Aaron asked. He adjusted his shirt.

“When Kari and I went to look for you, Chase just so happened to be in that hallway. He told me that he had something to show me regarding you.” I said.

“I did notice him smiling when you saw me.” This added a new layer of complexity.

“Aaron, what Olivia did to you is a crime. She’s done this before. I think you should report her.”

“But I don’t have evidence against her.” Aaron said. That is true. We have no actual evidence against Olivia and Chase.

“I know who we can ask.” I said.

“Who?”

“Kari. She’s really good at this stuff.” I said.

“Let her know! It’s time to bring down Chase and Olivia!”

------

bye! i love you all!

<3