9. Decent Family

Noah’s POV

Ya’know, I don’t care that Aaron left me alone. I don’t need him. I have myself. I’ve had myself for three years. All alone. That’s a good thing. Right?

After I was left all alone in the locker room, I decided to leave and go to the library. It was second period but I was excused for the rest of the day so it wasn’t necessary for me to go back to class. I headed to the library to just use my phone.

The library has been my safe space for the past few years of my school life. Carter and I used to always be here and would joke around. We snuck in snacks and would try to stay quiet. I miss Carter, but he left me. 

I sat in the back corner of the library, near the window that overlooks the quad of our school. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Twitter and then I played games. 

I must’ve lost track of time because the bell for lunch rang. I was jolted up and saw outside to see the flood of students come out of the buildings and into the quad. People talked with one another and they laughed. 

I was feeling a bit hungry. But I, being the socially anxious person, brought my own lunch. I always ate in the library. The librarian doesn’t mind. I was a responsible kid. So I pulled out my lunch and ate. 

I wonder what Aaron was doing?

Stop it! I don’t care about him. He’s a possible football player. And I’m just, well, me. He’s probably at the cafeteria right now sitting at the center table. He probably already has some bimbo sitting on him. I just want this day to end.

And it eventually did. The rest of the day continued but I had to see Aaron in every class. A few times he tried to come up to talk to me but he was swept away by the football players. I always breathed in relief when he was gone. I had no intention of talking to him. Nor do I want to. We’re simply too different. I was glad to see him already adjusting to life. All throughout the day, I heard many talking about Aaron. They talk about his looks, smile, personality, and that he might be the saying grace for the football team.

It was time to go home. I managed to go through a day avoiding Mack and not talking to Aaron. I know Aaron wouldn’t be walking home right now because of football practice. I walked the fifteen minutes home while wondering if I should disappear.

I didn’t feel like going directly home. So guess where I’ll be heading to instead.

The treehouse.

I gave my dad a simple wave and walked through the backyard. I entered the forest clearing and smelled the pine aroma. This was home. 

Time in the treehouse was used by me doing homework and a bit of reading. Some would say that my activities were boring but it’s better than getting drunk and doing all kinds of drugs. This time, I felt like I wanted to eat dinner at the house with my family. I sent my dad a text that I’ll be joining them. I didn’t want my dad to come all the way here just for me to tell him I won’t be eating with them.

I hopped down the tree and saw the sun was just starting to set. It was going to be a nice walk. The trees provided shade from the sun but allowed some light to come through. 

I walked a few minutes, ambient by the sounds of nothing. Nothing actually does have a sound. I can’t describe it, nor could I even explain how nothing has a sound. It’s one of those things that when you hear, you know. And if you don’t know it, you will when you hear it. It’s a sound I’ve grown to love. 

“Hi Noah. How was school?” Mom asked while she was busy cooking in the kitchen. She didn’t ask anymore, because she knows that if she keeps asking, all she’ll get is short responses. I felt bad. My mom and I used to be best friends. We always hung out and were able to relax. But then after him and the accident, I changed.

And I could tell my mom missed the old me. I simply nodded at her question.

“Go get ready. Dinner’ll be ready in a few minutes.” She said while setting down a casserole dish. I simply nodded and went upstairs. I changed and came back down and sat with my family to eat.

I think I only eat with my family three times a week. It sounds sad, but I honestly prefer me time. I have nothing against them. But I fear that one day I’ll talk too much and reveal the day that changed my life. And I fear their judgements, and my humiliation.

“Noah. Did you meet the neighbor’s son? What was his name, Petey?” Mom asked dad. Dad was reaching over to steal one of mom’s meatballs before he was caught.

“Huh? Oh yes. Aaron, honey.” He said. He ended up stealing the meatball.

“Yes! Aaron. He’s such a sweet boy. I know you said you didn’t want friends. But I think you’ll like him. Did you see him today?” Mom asked me. I looked her in the eyes.

“Yes.” Is all I said before I turned back down and continued eating. Mom knew that I didn’t want to talk more so she stopped asking. Instead she hit dad’s shoulder to stop stealing her food.

Dinner ended and it felt refreshing to talk to my family. Carla told us about her teacher and how close she was today to having a mental breakdown after Carla told her that the Native Americans DID NOT give the colonizers this land for free. Benjohn told us about a girl who has started sharing her Oreos with him. 

These people are actually decent. 

It was bedtime, for my sibling of course. I got allowed to stay up since I never misbehave. I go up the stairs and enter my room, making sure to lock the door behind me.

I layed on my bed and thought back to today. Aaron. He was an interesting fellow. I’m not sure why he kept trying to talk to me. I’m sure he has other friends that he’s made today. And I’m sure soon he’ll start to hurl insults at me and threaten me for no reason.

But maybe, just maybe, we could talk more. My heart was desperately looking for a way to escape my turmoil. It needed someone to pull me out. And my heart is trying to choose Aaron as that person. But I keep telling myself no. That Aaron is different. And I’m broken. No one wants to befriend a broken person. Because that just causes them to start to break trying to fix me.

I got up quickly for no reason. I saw a light shining across the window from mine. I turned and saw something that would’ve killed me right then and there.

Oh. My. God.

There Aaron was, shirtless, his body shining with droplets of water. His body was… amazing. I stared at his muscles, wondering how they felt. He looked like he’d just finish taking a shower. He wore a towel around his waist. I felt my face heat up. I stared at his body for what must’ve been minutes. And then the worst thing happened.

He looked up from his phone and made eye contact with me.

As soon as he saw me, I squealed and got away from the window. I facepalmed myself since I had just exposed myself.

“What the fuck?” I muttered to myself. My face felt really hot.

I groaned when it came to me that Aaron’s room was right next to mine. Which means that now it’ll be much harder to avoid him. Both at school and at home.

I really do have horrible luck, huh?

------

bye! i love you all!