15. Dark Memories

Noah’s POV

I don’t know how it happens. I just, I don’t understand it. How can someone be so manipulative, irresponsible, and downright a psychopathic liar.

Carla was able to convince Ben that if he ate dirt he would get super powers.

I was supposed to be leaving to go to the football party Aaron had invited me to. Instead, I was here washing dirt out of Ben’s mouth while Carla watched Paw Patrol. She has no regrets.

After finally settling everyone down, I was able to leave to go to the party. The house was 20 minutes away, not that far. I would go by car, but I despise driving. Never again!

The walk was cold and lonely. Aaron had gone earlier since, if you forgot, he was on the football team. But he did send me a text if I was coming. I’d responded yes. Haven’t heard from him in a while , but I was still going to show up. This was my first highschool party. I’ve never been to one before cause no one ever cared enough to remember me. 

I began to hear loud music blasting in the distance. Some type of rap music was blasting. As I got closer, I could hear the drunken laughter of students. The house came into view. All the windows were bright with colors and the windows and doors were flooded with people.

I entered the house, careful not to trip on anyone. The smell of booze and sex flooded my nose, making me internally gag.

“Noah?” I turned and saw Mack standing there. He was obviously drunk. He stammered his way over to me, making me scared for what he was going to do to me.

“M-Mack.” I said, sounding scared.

“Relax mmman, I ain’t gonnna doo nothin to you.” His drunk voice makes me cringe. I leaned away, and he kept to his word and walked away. I spent a few minutes walking around the house. Checking to see if Aaron was anywhere. 

After not finding him, I resorted to shying away from everyone. Maybe I’ll find him later. For now, I wanted to settle down in an empty room. I climbed the stairs and made my way to the second floor. I skipped the rooms nearest and walked further into the hall to avoid accidentally walking in on someone.

What I witnessed made my stomach turn. And with it, I felt hurt. There was Aaron making out with Olivia. I ran away, ignoring the calls from Aaron. I rushed out of the house, continuing to run and not looking back.

The woods.

I always feel safe in the woods, so I ran into them despite it being nearing the middle of the night. I ran into them, not caring that I couldn’t even see where I was running to. 

My mind was going 100 miles per hour, and I couldn’t think straight. So I walked, more like I ran, for a few minutes. The hurtful words Olivia said echoed in my head. But I didn’t care about what Olivia said, but rather what Aaron was doing. It shouldn’t hurt me, but it did.

I slowed my walking, and began thinking if I may have jumped to conclusions. Maybe Aaron didn’t even want to make out with her. Olivia can be persistent. 

My walking when I saw the shiny pebbles on the floor reflected a bright yellow light. 

Oh no.

I looked up and saw a sign I haven’t seen in three years. A place that was the opposite of my treehouse. This place was full of nothing but dark memories. The one that I never want to remember about. But your worst memories are the ones you remember vividly.

‘Seasonal Inn: Open 24 Hours, Free Wi-Fi’

This damn motel. A place I used to work at. All before it went south. All thanks to him.

“Hi, I’m Chase.” His voice rang in my head. I remember that moment vividly. I wish I could’ve told myself to ignore him. Or at the very least ignored his moves.

I walked past the motel, ignoring its entirety as if it wasn’t there. But it was. 

“Come hang out with me later. What time do you get off?” 

NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I closed my ears, but his voice wasn’t external. It was in my head. 

He was the worst thing to happen to me. 

My phone began vibrating. I checked and it was a call from Aaron. I didn’t feel like talking to him. It wasn’t his fault. I just don’t feel like speaking to him.

“You’re amazing, Noah!” Lies. All lies. He didn’t care about me. He used me. He hurt me. He scarred me.

Tears brimmed my eyes, and I wiped them away with my arm. But the sobs came more. I couldn’t stop them. I sniffled and shivered thanks to the cold.

I wasn’t even sure why I was mad at Aaron. 

I guess it was because I thought he would be different. The last time I opened up to someone, I was used. And broken. Then abandoned. And still to this day, I’m still trying to put the pieces together. 

Then Aaron comes along and I open up to him. I could tell my parents are so proud that I have a friend. And if I’m being honest, I may have a crush on him. Afterall, he basically saved me.

So the moment I saw him kissing someone, it broke my heart. He would never date me. It’s a one-sided love. But it hurt. 

Thus the reason all these memories popped into my head. And opening a wound I wished would heal.

But Aaron has no fault. How is he supposed to know that I have a crush on him?

He won’t.

And I plan on never telling him.

So now I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not his fault. I’m just… broken. And I’ll never be fixed. I should probably apologize to Aaron for running out like that. I must have worried him. 

I checked my phone. It was about 4:00 am. 4:00 am?!?

What the fuck have I been doing for the past six hours?

I guess it was time to go home.

I feel a large amount of regret. And I for one can’t imagine what my life would be if the accident never happened, and if everything would be different, and if maybe my family would be happier or if I would have more friends.

------

bye! i love you all! (really, i do!)