20. First Date

Aaron’s POV

Oh God I asked him out. I actually did that! I was so nervous I had to step out and calm myself down. I’d thought about asking him out for a while. I needed to work up the courage to do it but I was never fully prepared. I just had to do it. 

I had no idea where to take Noah. Noah is very… picky. And I want to choose a place he will find comfortable. A classy restaurant was out of the equation. The park? Too cold. Movie theaters? Nothing interesting is playing yet. The treehouse? Not yet.

This was a difficult decision. Wait a minute. I thought about it and it’s so simple. Red Star Diner!

It’s perfect. It’s the first place that I hung out with Noah besides the treehouse. The time I went there was amazing. The food was splendid. The atmosphere was ethereal. And Noah was perfect. 

Noah
Hey. I’m outside waiting for you.

I got a text from Noah. I looked outside my window and indeed saw Noah standing on the sidewalk that connected our houses. From what I can see, he wore a navy blue button up with black jeans. I put on my gold chain and walked down stairs.

“Hey sweetie. Where’re you going?” Mom asked.

“I’m going out with Noah.” I said.

“Oh.” She said. The look on her face said that she had suspicions that something else was going on. “Have fun then.” She said and waved me goodbye.

I exited my house and made my way to Noah. His back was turned and I decided to sneak up on him. Stepping slowly and avoiding the crunchy leaves, I reached his back and grabbed his shoulders tightly and shook him.

“BOO!” I said. He yelped and jumped back, swinging his hands and hitting my nose.

“AH! What the fuck?!” I screamed while clutching my nose.

“Why’d you do that? You scared me.” He said while catching his breath.

“But did you have to hit me?” I said. He looked at me deeply.

“Yes.” And that’s where our conversation ended.

“C’mon. The world isn’t waiting for us!” I said. I grabbed his wrist and began dragging him in the direction of the diner. Noah didn’t protest and instead allowed me to drag him. I stopped dragging him and turned to face him when we reached the diner.

“We’re here!” I exclaimed. Noah turned to the diner and smiled at me.

“You certainly have good taste.” He said. I tipped an imaginary hat at him and he chuckled. We entered the diner and were greeted by the owner. 

The diner was a little empty, most of the patrons being young adults. 

“Ugh, millennials.” I said. Noah laughed a little too loud. We headed towards a booth beside the window and near a jukebox. After waiting for a while, a young woman came who was dressed as a waiter.

“Hello fine men. What would you like to order?” Her chippy attitude made me happy for some reason.

“Um, I’ll take a strawberry smoothie, fries, a cheeseburger, and onion rings please.” I said. I looked over to Noah.

“I’ll do the same but make it a vanilla smoothie instead.” The woman nodded and wrote down our orders as she left.

“Strawberry? Really?” Noah placed his hand on the table and shook his head in disappointment. 

“Oh what? Are you too ‘proper’ for strawberry?” I said. 

“Hey man! Just saying. If you like strawberries, you’re pretty much making fun of yourself at that point.” He said. I rolled my eyes, deciding not to argue more.

Our food arrived and Noah and I had the best date I could think of. There was absolutely no rush, unlike previous dates I’ve had. Noah would talk. Which to me was a huge development. It’s crazy to think that a few weeks ago, Noah was too afraid to speak to me. But now, he can open up. He loves talking about literature. I find literature boring, but he makes things sound interesting. 

It’s taking my entire power to not lean over and kiss him.

‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’ by Taylor Swift was playing in the background while we sipped on our milkshakes. 

“C’mon. I wanna take you somewhere else.” I said. I paid for the food and grabbed his hand, leading him outside the diner.

We made our way to a small park. The sun was setting at this point and the park remained empty, void of any children. Perfect.

“Today was amazing, Noah.” I said.

“It was. I actually enjoyed being around another human.” He snarkily replied. I laughed.

“So I was thinking, since today went great, I was thinking if we could go on another date.” I said looking down wanting to avoid his eyes. 

“Of course.” He excitedly exclaimed, almost like he was expecting I would never ask. I stared at Noah, and looked down to his lips. I wanted to kiss him so badly right now. He looked innocent, small, and vulnerable. I wanted to protect him. Just pick him up and carry him. He leaned in to kiss him. But then he stopped me. 

“Not yet.” He said, keeping his hand on my pecs. All I could think at that moment was Noah touching me and how his hand would feel on my bare skin. The heat that his hand released onto my chest warmed my entire being. A fire had lit, and there was no way to stop it.

“Fine. But one day I’ll get that kiss.” A hint of promise in my voice. We walked home together. Our hands would touch, sending sparks between us.

“Goodbye, Aaron. See you later.” He said. 

“Until then, Noah.” I said. We walked to our homes and a sense of invincibility flooded my veins. 

“Hey son. How was today?” Mom asked me. I smiled brightly at her.

“Great!” And I stepped to my room and laid on my bed, thinking about how I should ask Noah out eventually to be my boyfriend.

------

aww ma babies went on a date. let's hope everything is fine in the future...

bye! i love you all!