5. Alone

Noah's POV

It was probably about midnight right now and I was still in my treehouse. Don't blame me. If you had a place you felt safe in, you would want to be there for as long as you can. My lamp light was still on and soft music played. I had taken a nap earlier so I wouldn't lose out on any sleep.

I checked my phone and it was 11:49 pm.

"I think it's time to leave." I said to myself. I gathered my belongings. I stopped when I saw a drawing on the floor. It was from Carter, an old friend.

Before the accident, Carter and I used to be inseparable. I loved him in a platonic way. We would always enjoy each other's company. Two peas in a pod, they say.

When I got into the accident, Carter came to visit me in the hospital. This was about a month before school started again. I never told anyone all the details of that day. Or the weeks before. I don't want to tell anyone. The trauma, emotional and physical, left me a husk of who I was.

And Carter noticed this.

I never told Carter what happened exactly, but he knew not to pester because as long as he was with me, I was fine. Everyday he visited me to make sure I was okay. My mom was relieved that I had someone to talk to. I just couldn't tell my parents. They would've judged me or found a way to blame me.

And besides, I don't want to think about him. Even if I said something, powerful people have a way to stay clean.

I thought that when I finally got out of the hospital, everything would be fine. Not perfect, but fine.

That is until Carter broke some news to me a week before I was discharged.

"I'm so sorry, Noah." He said

I sobbed as Carter had just finished telling me that he was moving away.

"Why Carter!? I need you! I can't do this alone!" I sobbed while he held me.

"I'm sorry, but my parents already decided." He said. He cuddled me like a hurt puppy, because in a way, I was.

He handed me a drawing that he made right before he left. It was us, sitting under an umbrella in a grassy field. The contours and shadows were on point. He smiled and I smiled too. Been a while since I did that. There was a note at the bottom but to this day I refuse to read it.

One day.

Enough memories! I needed to get home. I climbed down the ladder, making sure I turned off the lights in my tree house. When I reached down, I got the flashlight my dad left for me. I turned it on and followed to bright orange x's marked on the tree. You can only see them if you look close enough. The orange tape is made to reflect light so when you flash it, they illuminate. That's how I found my way home.

My parents understand to leave the door unlocked for me to enter. It wasn't uncommon for me to enter during the night. They would also leave my dinner on the table for me to eat. Sometimes Carla would make notes for me telling me about her day so I'm not lonely. Or she leaves her stuffed animals to eat with me.

"Noah." I heard my mom's voice say. I was kinda startled because they would be asleep right now. Guess not.

"Mom? Dad? Why aren't you guys asleep."

'Why aren't you asleep also?' some of you may ask. Shut up. I have a logical reason. But you'll find that out later.

"We wanted to talk to you." My dad made sure to use his soft voice. He didn't know what I went through, no one does, but he understands that whatever it was must've been so horrible that it left me empty.

"About...?" I didn't like where this was heading.

"Well, the neighbors that recently moved have a son your age."

OH GOD!

"I don't see why this is relevant to me." I said. I was hoping she wouldn't say what I think she's gonna say.

"We were thinking that maybe you could be his friend. He's new and he could use someone to talk to." She said. I tried to keep my cool and not lash out at her.

"Now honey, if he doesn't want to be friends, he doesn't need to." My dad said. I guess he remembered when he would bring people over to try to be friends with me but I refused. Good to know that I have someone on my side.

"MOM! How many times do I have to say this? I don't need friends! I'm perfectly okay being alone!" I said.

"No one is okay being alone. Look, I know you went through something horrible, but please talk to us. Tell us why you're like this!" My mom pleaded. Seeing her to the brink of tears made my heart hurt. I can't believe my selfish actions were causing my mom to be hurt.

"I- I just can't tell you mom. You wouldn't understand." I didn't know if she would. She probably wouldn't.

"Please, Noah! I'm tired of seeing you like this. All alone with no one to talk to. After Carter left, you became too quiet. And your depression is concerning. We just want to help you." She pleaded. My dad comforted her.

"I'm sorry mom. I'll tell you one day, but not right now. I'm sorry." A few tears escaped my eyes. Why was I like this? All she wants is to help me but I'm refusing her efforts.

"Goodnight." I said plainly. I grabbed the plate of cold pasta and headed to my room. I walked through the second floor when Carla's voice startled me.

"Noah." She said. I turned and saw her standing outside her door.

"Carla? Go to bed, it's way too late." I said.

"I agree with momma, you need friends. I don't want you to be alone. It's okay to be broken." Carla said. I ruffled her hair.

"Go to bed, Car." I said.

"You should really be friends with him, tho. He's really fun. I think I'm in love!" She said in a happy voice. She walked back into her room and shut the door. I giggled and walked to my room.

I entered my room and turned on the light. I ate my food on my bed while watching a video on my phone. I honestly didn't want to be here in the morning and see my mom and be faced with an awkward tension after what just happened.

Morning came and rather than stay around, I left like at seven in the morning and went back to my treehouse. I took my backpack with me to do work and some snacks. All I want is a normal Saturday with no interruptions. Until Saturday and Sunday pass and I have to go back to school on Monday.

------

so i've decided to upload on saturdays and wednesdays.

bye! i love you all!