10. Shy Guy

Aaron's POV

A hard blush (and something else) formed after I quickly made eye contact with Noah.

Noah.

His name rolled easily off my tongue, like I was destined to say it. He looked away when I saw him rather quickly. It was like he was caught with his hand in a cookie jar. I found it rather cute how fast he hid. I feel like he's probably still there, face palming himself.

I don't mind him looking. He can look all he wants.

It was now the next morning, and last night's events continue to play in my head. But then the question popped in my head.

Why did Noah not eat with his family?

I thought back to what Mrs. James said regarding Noah. How he doesn't eat dinner with them, like any normal family does. The melancholy nature when she mentioned him, made her almost sincerely penitent. Although I feel like she's out of the loop when it comes to Noah and his mind. They were pretty adamant on me and Noah being friends, until the next day when Mrs. James said it's better I don't hang out with Noah.

But she made it clear it's not me, but Noah.

I walked and saw Noah ahead of me, a few steps away. He had his head down, probably trying to ignore the outside world.

"NOAH!" I screamed, making him jump and become startled. He turned around and made eye contact with me. A look of embarrassment came on his face, and he turned his head and continued walking.

"WAIT- COME BACK!" I said, running after him. He began to speed walk, but it was no use as I reached him. I grabbed his shoulder, making him stop and turn around.

"What?" He said, sounding a bit standoffish. I ignored his tone and tried talking to him.

"How's your day going?" I asked. He turned around, shrugging off my hand and continued walking. I followed close behind, making sure that he knew I was still here.

"It's only 7:30." He said. I giggled at his snarky attitude.

"A lot can happen in a short amount of time." I said. He tensed up.

The next fifteen minutes consisted of me talking, while Noah pretended I didn't exist. Key word, 'pretended'. I knew he was listening because whenever I would crack a joke, he smiled, looking like he was trying to hold it in. He was trying to eschew his happiness, and I wanted to know why.

We arrived to the front of the school. I turned to face Noah, while he tried to get in but I blocked his way.

"Move, wall." He said. I laughed and he growled lightly at me.

"I wanted to ask what you're doing for lunch?" I asked.

"I was gonna-" He was cut off by shouting.

"AARON!" My teammates said. I turned around, already feeling a migraine coming based on the sound of their voices. They walked up to me, and I reluctantly gave them all high fives and fist bumps. During this time, Noah was able to slip away, but I only noticed after he had already walked into the school.

"C'mon man! We gotta go." One of my teammates said. I walked with them and Greg joined me. He was the only one I liked. He and Noah are the only people so far that I can stand. Everyone else is either annoying or horny.

"We got football practice later today. See you there." Greg said. I nodded in agreement, excited to be able to play and practice with my new teammates.

Throughout the day, I tried to talk to Noah. Since we have every class together, I saw him every hour. And everytime, I tried to sit with him but was swept away by the jocks. I began to get annoyed. Sure I was new and had the best potential on the team. I was quarterback, which is like the most sought after position. But all I wanted to do was sit with Noah.

And everytime I felt like I got a chance to talk to him, I was met with him speed walking away. He was fast, really fast. And when lunch time came, I searched all over the cafeteria to find him. It was useless. And I soon realized that based on Noah, he most likely doesn't like to eat in an area full of people.

"Dude, are you looking for someone?" Greg asked.

"Yeah, but I don't see them." I said, making sure I didn't reveal the gender of who I was looking for.

"Hey sexy." A cheerleader said. I recognized the voice as belonging to Olivia, the head cheerleader. Since I'm on the football team, it's kinda required I date a cheerleader. But let me tell you one thing about these girls.

They all suck.

And Olivia is the worst. She's been hitting on me the moment I got on the team. And I hated it. I didn't like it when she touched me seductively. And she would whisper things in my ear, as if it was meant to turn me on. Olivia began to sit next to me, making sure to rub her hands on my arm. I ignored it, and continued to look around.

Lunch ended, and I headed to my next class, and there was Noah, already sitting on his seat while waiting for our teacher to enter. I went to sit next to him, until Olivia grabbed my wrist.

"Sit with me, baby." She said. I didn't even know she went to this class. I was focused and looking at Noah, waiting for him to turn around and look at me. Olivia was persistent and I ended up sitting next to her in the back of the class.

The day ended, and no words from Noah. I hoped football practice would take my mind off it. We had our first upcoming game soon. And it would be a great time for me to show off my talents.

I walked home after a good first practice. Coach was really impressed with my talents, assuring that if I keep up the work, we might make it to nationals. But no pressure.

"Ron, how was school?" Mom asked when I entered the house. She wore an apron since she was cooking. Dad was on the dinner table looking over some files.

"How was football?" Father asked.

"It was great." I said, referring to both their questions.

"Make any friends?" Mom asked while setting the table.

"Yeah. This guy named Greg on the football team. Also Noah from next door." I said.

"Noah? Interesting." Mom said. She looked like she knew something that I didn't.

There was a lot I didn't know about Noah. And it's understandable. I've known him for two days. And during that time, I caught him looking at me. I saw him blush. And I blushed myself too. There were feelings in me that were starting to grow. And while I was okay with the feelings, I didn't like that I hadn't even gotten the chance to know Noah.

I'll just have to wait how far this'll go.

------

oof. aaron finally knows his name.

bye! i love you all!