13. Red Star Diner

Noah’s POV

To say I was nervous was an understatement. This was my first time since Carter that I would hang with someone else. I was always alone, and didn't bother to hang out with anyone. Not since… that summer.

So what made Aaron different? How does a football player come to a random town and is able to make a quiet shy kid come out of his shell.

I fixed my clothes, wearing jeans and a blue hoodie. Nothing special.

“Mom. Dad. I’m heading out.” I said to them while they sat on the living room couch. They jolted up quickly. I guess they never expected me to say those words again.

“With who?” Dad asked, a smile playing on his lips.

“Umm, Aaron.” I said. Mom and dad looked at each other. Dad then pulled out his wallet and gave a hundred dollar bill. He nodded and I took it. After a few moments of silence, I walked towards the door.

“I’m gonna go… see you guys later.” I said. Mom waved goodbye and dad waved. After I exited the door and closed it, I heard mom and dad cheering.

I walked onto the steps and saw Aaron standing on the sidewalk, waiting for me. I saw his outfit, entranced by what he wore. A black long sleeve, dark denim jeans, and white Air Forces. His long sleeve clung onto his body tightly, and I blushed remembering I saw him shirtless once. He stood there with his hands in his pockets, while I continued walking. I was staring too long so I looked down, fixing my posture. I wanted to seem less awkward, so I added a little ‘swagger’ into my steps. 

Then I tripped.

I landed onto the grass, face first. I felt humiliated, refusing to look up. I heard Aaron laughing and could hear the crunching of leaves get closer.

“A-Are you okay-y, Noah?” He said, trying to stop himself from laughing. I held up a thumbs-up, not wanting to look at him. He grabbed my wrist, sending shocks all over me.

“C’mon, man. Up we go.” He said while tugging me up. I lifted myself up, and was met face to face with Aaron. I was looking up at him, and he was looking down at me. 

“We should get going.” I said, and he pulled away. He started walking while I made sure to dust off my jeans. His large legs made him walk faster, and I basically had to run to catch up to him. Damn you, tall people!

“Where are we going?” I asked once I was side-by-side with Aaron.

“I heard there’s a diner down the street. Wanted to check it out with you.” He said. I recalled that diner. Had fun memories with my family when we always went out to eat. That was before…

“Yeah! Red Star Diner! Love that place!” I said, happy that I was going to be able to visit that place again. Aaron turned and looked at me with enthusiasm.

After a few minutes of walking, the diner started to become visible. The diner was located in the area that mixes the woodsy area to the downtown area of our town, which was littered with smaller shops. The Red Star Diner was noticeable by the giant red star neon sign that at night illuminates the surrounding area.

“Wow! This place looks awesome!” Aaron said, slightly jumping. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling.

“Yeah. They haven’t renovated since 1953. Everytime they want to change it, everyone convinces the owners to leave it. It’s a popular attraction.” I said, trying to remember the vintage Americana aesthetic. 

“Sounds awesome! Let’s go in!” Aaron began to walk fast to the front door. It took me a second to register him leaving already and began running to catch up. The inside of the diner was the same as how I remember it. Booths, a bar, red and white checkered tiles.

“Hi there! Welcome to Red Star Diner. How many in your party?” A woman asked Aaron. The woman blushed at the sight of Aaron. I rolled my eyes. 

“Two please!” Aaron said, unaware of the looks the woman was giving him. The woman led us to a booth located near the window. It was pretty empty today, since it was pretty cold outside. 

“What would you boys like to order?” The woman said, while we scanned through the menu.

“I’ll have the double-cheeseburger, fries, vanilla milkshake, and…” I pointed to Aaron, who most likely didn’t know what to get because it was his first time here.

“I’ll have the same, please?” Aaron smiled at the waiter with a smile that I’ve fallen before.

“Please? Since when did you become a gentleman?” I asked as soon as the woman walked away. 

“I grew up in New York.” He said while playing with the sugar packets on the table.

“Still doesn’t make sense, but ‘kay.” I said. There fell another awkward silence. Aaron looked like he wanted to say something but was afraid to. He bit his lip, solidifying my theory that he’s nervous. 

After 10 minutes, our food arrived. I was hit with a smell that brought back memories. Good memories. I guess Aaron was tired of the silence so he began speaking.

“Ya’know, in New York, we never had places like this. All we had were 5-Star restaurants and pizza shops.”

“Do you miss New York?” 

“Of course! I’ve called my friends a few times. They’re doing pretty good.” He said, taking a bite out of his burger.

“And what about you? How are you enjoying Crestwood?” I asked, eating a fry.

“I like it! I have football, Greg, and you.” He said, making me choke on my milkshake. I started coughing aggressively, no doubt getting all the diner patron’s attention on us.

“I-I didn’t mean it like that! I meant that you’re the only other person besides Greg who doesn’t annoy me or try to hook up with me.” He said, rubbing his neck and making his ears pink.

I didn’t say anything after that. I told him it was okay. Aaron went on, rambling about New York, football, and his old friends. I didn’t mind him talking. It was better than eating in awkward silence. Whenever he would ramble, I would steal a few of his fries. I hope he didn’t notice.

“Speaking of football, my first game is coming up.” Aaron tried to allude to something but I didn’t catch on. I knew the football game was coming up, but I never dared go. Too much... socializing.

“Uh huh…”

“I wanted to know if you could come and watch me play.” He sounded nervous. How sweet! 

“I-I don’t know. There’s just, a lot of people and-” 

“Noah, please? For me.”  He said, smiling at me.

“The least you can do for stealing my fries.” He added.

“Fine. I’ll go.” I said.

Guess I’m going to my first football game.

------

so i guess i forgot to mention the name of the town. it's called crestwood. shut up! i know it's basic.

bye! i love you all!